on 20 January 2016
I bought this to read out loud to elderly residents of a nursing home before they have their lunch. It goes down well, but I leave out some parts to concentrate on the dialogues with the pupils and teachers. I enjoy all his books. I love trying to use a Yorkshire accent... the residents are very forgiving...
on 24 March 2017
What a delightful, beautifully written and well crafted book. Being a school teacher it was amusing to read about the other side of the coin. Mr Phinn is a gifted and articulate writer and I am sure those same qualities were displayed in his inspections together with an obvious talent for relating with the children.
on 8 April 2013
First time Ive read something by this author although I have read similar books by other people. I really enjoyed this one... sets the scene nicely with the dales as a back drop.. I did struggle a bit with some of the dialect but if you read it as its written then it sounds right.. ?? Not a really laugh out loud book but it was amusing in parts and I will definately look out for more on offer by this author.. Ive had my eye on a couple and think I will treat myslelf. I dont like giving too much of the story away in a review.. the authors job as school inspector gives him plenty of time to meet some amazing characters , mainly the children, make your own mind up but I enjoyed it .
on 11 August 2016
Love this book... Bought a copy for my other half... She loves it too... It arrived well packaged and well within the time stated...
on 14 November 2016
Just about to start book two as this book is a great read and would recommend the author most highly.
on 26 April 2017
A good book and very interesting reading.
on 27 September 2016
Excellent. He writes very well. Keen observation of people. Amusing.
on 8 September 2016
Great story - funny guy
on 4 October 2016
very good
on 17 September 2017
I love Gervase Phinn's stories, so funny yet so true.