Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 December 2007
Having recently been diagnosed with Osteoporosis unexpectedly in my 30s I was desperate for information on the subject and rushed out and bought a number of books. I wanted one that didnt feel as though it was aimed solely at post menopausal women as many are (this book is perfect no matter what age you are). This was by far the best and most informative of all the books I have looked at. It is really clear and well written and the chapters on medication and supplements are really fantastic. I would recommend this book to anybody wishing to inform themselves about Osteoporosis no matter what age you are, it gives you all the information you could possibly need to live with, manage and improve the condition in a very readable format.
on 23 November 2011
Diagnosed with OP in Jan 11 I was appalled to be prescribed drugs and told to 'come back in 5 years...' I went onto the National Osteoporosis Society forum and a forum user recommended this book.

Thank goodness she did. This book tell you about how your body works and what you can do to help yourself. Because of this book I feel that I have got control back into my life, my diet is now the alkali diet recommended, I exercise and take supplements.

Their is a better book for supplements - it's Lara Pizarno's Your Bones.

But for giving you info about how your body 'works'- Dr. Glenville's book is unbeatable.
on 4 February 2009
After being diagnosed with osteoporosis recently I bought this book without considering all the changes that have taken place since 2005. I was disappointed to find 'advertising' for the author's clinics, multiple recommendations for vitamin supplements after tests that could be arranged through these clinics and (understandably) references to biphosphonates which are no longer prescribed for osteoporisis here in France.

I don't think this book is relevant in 2009. A disappointing purchase.
on 26 May 2010
An excellent book with sound help/advice. Some of the advice takes a couple of reads to fully understand, particularly the grouping of foods in to acid and non-acid types. My wife has osteoporosis and had a bad fall which caused her to break her spine. Because her osteoporosis is quite bad nobody had any confidence in the break healing. After some time of no apparent progress she bought this book and we changed our diet etc to fall in line with its suggestions. She is not fully recovered but every day she does a little more, has a little less pain and generally feels that progress is being made. It may all be just conicidence but we would recommend anyone with osteop-orosis give it a try.
on 3 May 2014
This book is the best I have read on osteoporosis.Doctors prescribe such strong drugs with possible very unpleasant side effects for
this condition. I have refused them and would much prefer a natural way of taking care of my bones through correct diet and exercise,It was a strong drug (steroids) that caused osteoporosis in the first place. I borrowed this book from the library and was so impressed I bought it from Amazon
on 5 April 2009
Having recently been diagnosed with severe Osteoporosis and only really finding literature from the USA of any use but the products recommended hard to obtain, it was wonderful to suddenly find something written here in Great Britain and with the recommendations obtainable. This book is extremely informative and easy to read unlike some books you find, not only that, it also gives you hope of beating this this thing rather than just accepting it. It is a must, really, for all woman of any age and indeed, any male who is looking to keep himself ahead of the things likeky to attack his joints/bones, Osteoporisis is not limited to just females. There is a need to read and to understand just what is going on with-in and respecting the needs of our bodies more. it has certainly opened my eyes.

Carol Arnold
on 11 February 2015
Very negative book and dispiriting. Suggests lots of tests which the ordinary person can't acccess without lots of money. Does not recognise importance of vitamin K2 and the negative sides of alendronic acid. I found it depressing and scary.
on 20 June 2013
This is a very good book written with our medication in the UK available to us. I found a lot of the advice very valuable but there is a lot of food groups to give up if you want to take it seriously and make a huge difference. We need to know this information at a younger age say 35 so we can start to make a difference then. In just 2 years I have gone from Osteopenia to Osteoporosis with the menopause I am still 49. Giving up Spinach & Rhubarb which block the absorbsion of calcium is just one simple step that will help and of course lots of oily fish I am enjoying a much healther diet along with taking strontium and calcium D3.
on 2 December 2009
As someone recently diagnosed with osteoporosis I found this book extremly helpful. It gives advice on all aspects of the problem. From a review of all the drugs avaiable to advice on diet, exercise and other aspects of lifestyle. I cannot recommend it more highly.
on 13 November 2012
This was a very readable and informative book for people like me who have been diagnosed with osteoporosis. The main disappointment I found was that when referring to health practitioners, the only practitioner we are referred to is the writer herself. This for me was a major drawback. It made the book look like a source of business for the author, rather than an unbiased source of information.