- Amazon Student members get an extra 10% off this product Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
The Origins of Grammar: Language in the Light of Evolution II (Oxford Studies in the Evolution of Language) Hardcover – 22 Sep 2011
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Hurford's style is very clear and there is certainly no better introduction to linguistics around for evolutionarily inclined outsiders. (Mark Aronoff, Evolutionary Linguistics)
Hurford's scope is encyclopaedic (N.J. Enfield, Times Literary Supplement)
About the Author
James R. Hurford is Emeritus Professor of General Linguistics, University of Edinburgh. He is co-editor, with Kathleen Gibson, of OUP's Studies in Language Evolution, co-founder, with Simon Kirby, of the Language Evolution and Computation Research Unit at the University of Edinburgh, and co-founder, with Chris Knight, of the EVOLANG series of international conferences on the evolution of language. His books include The Linguistic Theory of Numerals (CUP, 1975), Language and Number: The Emergence of a Cognitive System (Blackwell, 1987), Grammar: A Student's Guide (CUP 1994), and The Origins of Meaning (OUP 2007).
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Reference > Language
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Biology
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Philosophy
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Anthropology
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Morphology
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Reference