Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 September 2013
First up no comments re lack of lyrics etc, put simply 5 discs for around £3each from one of greatest singers in last 40 years BARGAIN..... Biggest attraction is the inclusion of Evangeline and Thirteen two albums never released on CD before. Out of five Roses in the snow &White Shoes are 5's, all the others get 4 --- quite simply this is a must buy for anyone who loves great singing with impeccable song choices and top drawer instrumentation, all of country music from bluegrass to modern is here
on 9 October 2013
I bought these to obtain Evangeline and Thirteen on CD as I have the former on vinyl but not the latter. However I do have the other discs with bonus tracks and it's a shame these were not included. Reading the sleeve notes is a trial and requires a good magnifying glass!! The music is excellent though!
on 24 October 2013
Most Emmylou fans will have these albums as I do but this is a fantastic collection to have as well at a great price. Those unfamiliar with her work are advised to grab this whilst they can!!
on 15 June 2017
A brilliant album.
on 21 December 2014
Excellent value
I don't think Evangeline or Thirtenn have ever been released on CD before so I have bought this package for those 2 albums and they alone would be worth the price. However, you get 5 albums by this wonderful singer for a super price. The classic Roses in the Snow is the best of the albums and wonderful performances in a bluegrass style. Simply superb. Whites Shoes is a rock effort which is very stylish and has some great tracks. including Drivin' Wheel and In My Dreams. Very good. Cimarron is not one of her better known albums but it should be. Fantastic tracks include Rose of Cimarron, If I needed You (a duet with Don Williams) and a cover of Springsteen's The Price You Pay. Simply superb and Emmylou at her best. Now to the 2 rarely if ever released on CD albums. Evangeline......the first track I ever heard Emmylou sing was her brilliant cover of Bad Moon Rising.......there is a duet with Waylon on Spanish Johnny and lots of other good songs although I am not sure Mister Sandman fits this album (50s pop?). Perhaps not her best but still very good and well worth a listen. Thirteen is another much ignored of her albums and I have never understood why because I think it is very very good. Her duet with John Anderson on Just Someone I used to know is brilliant. Mystery Train has a great rhythm. Her cover of Today I started loving you is excellent and she also covers the toe tapping cajun Laccasine Special. This 5 albums cover pop, rock, honky tonk, country rock, rock, bluegrass, cajun, country in a style in which only Emmylou can sing. She is convincing in whatever she sings and very versatile. She makes cover songs her own. She sings some great origianl amterial. Her band throughout is superb. Volume 1 of this set is brilliant.....Volume 2 is a great follow up and is a fantastic listen and is fantastic value. For those of who love great music. Very highly recommended.
11 Comment| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 September 2013
This very interesting in that to my knowledge two of these albums, "Evangeline" and "Thirteen" have never been released on CD before. Probably because they were not among Emmylou's best sellers, Warner Bros. passed them over when they were churning out dismal versions of catalogue material. Lucky for us, in order to release this package Rhino had to master this pair of gems for the first time, and apparently decided to do it properly. The other three titles in this packaged have been released before and with the exception of "White Shoes" have even been re-mastered. My unsophisticated ear cannot be certain they have been re-mastered again for this release, but they certainly sound good. The quiet records are quiet and the loud ones are not. What we end up with is three of my very favorite Emmylou Harris Rockier albums bookended by two excellent traditional country albums, and not a bad one in the bunch. I make no attempt to critique the music, if you have read this far, you must be a fan. I have avidly collected Emmylou's music since her days with Gram Parsons, and this contains an eclectic batch of cover versions very few artists could pull off if they were fortunate enough to share her good taste. If you are a fan of Emmylou Harris, you must have this collection.
on 14 December 2013
Another in the original album series releases and a great bargain. The price I paid works out at less than £2.25 per CD - I paid double that for just one of the albums when originally released on vinyl, and we've had 20 years or so inflation since then! The albums are from what I regard as the second phase of Emmylou's career, with various influences coming to play - great stuff. The inclusion of one of her best albums "Cimerron," which has hitherto been difficult to find on CD, is a great bonus. Some have criticised the original album series generally for non-inclusion of, or difficult to read album notes, but hey, do you really need them?, and I'm extremely happy with the value of the CDs alone. Delivery was within a few days, good service from Amazon.
on 23 September 2013
To get five albums at this price - wonderful
To get hard to find emmylou albums with this quality of production - superb
To rediscover so many of her early tracks - fantastic
on 2 October 2013
One of the best music bargains ever. Five albums by the great Emmylou for just over a tenner. This is all the more fantastic considering the set contains first cd release of Evangeline and Thirteen. Cimarron is here too but was only available on import I think, and a copy of that can cost you nigh on £50! No great packaging or extra trax but at a tenner for such a treat who cares? The music of course is sensational. I just don,t know why Cimarron, Evangeline & Thirteen were not released on Cd much earlier. All three are great albums and I reckon Warner Bros lost a fortune by this grave error! So good to have Thirteen on cd as it is full of great songs. Her version of Bruce Springsteen,s My Father,s House is a spine-tingling stand-out. I hope someone from the record company reads these reviews. If so ---give us Last Date on CD, preferably an expanded version!!