This five-CD box set is part of a series. Discover more artists with products in the Original Album Classics series.
Original Album Classics Box set
|Price:||£14.99 & FREE Delivery in the UK on orders over £20. Details|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
Roughly this box represents the first four years of Lou's post VU life. I say roughly because it omits both of the period live albums - Rock and Roll Animal and Lou Reed Live - and the double LP studio set Metal Machine Music. MMM has a life of its own and if you want to get a feel for it, check out some of the Amazon reviews. Lou probably hates this box for leaving out MMM but I can see why the compilers made that choice. I'm not saying that it's right, just understandable.
So what do we have left?
* Lou Reed is the solo debut. On paper this should have been Loaded pt 2, the songs on balance were as good as Loaded despite nothing hitting the highs of Sweet Jane, New Age or Rock n Roll. What went wrong is hard to say but it just doesn't sound alive. Lou says that the original mix had a problem with Dolby; this CD corrects that but Louie seems hesitant and the hired guns in the studio band don't really help. Great songs though, including many VU leftovers.
* Transformer you maybe know about. Ziggy Bowie hauls our Lou up by the lapels and gives him the production to match his songs. Yes it's good - Satellite of Love, Perfect Day - but in my mind it's a tad over rated, more a reflection of the times than of Lou. Still, you get the remaster with the additional demos and radio ad. Bowie fans will love it.
* Berlin is the dark fire meisterwork. It works because while it's a "concept" per se, the songs don't have a specific narrative. Instead Lou gives you the dots and let you fill the gaps in. Using the divided city of Berlin as a metaphor for a failing relationship, Lou takes us through the whole emotional kaleidoscope. The Kids still chills 40 years on.Read more ›
Not convinced by"Coney Island Baby" it's the kind of album that will grow on you, it was totally unknown to me, I got more into things like "Rock and Roll Animal" one of 2 Lou Reed live Albums and has the best Intro to "Sweet Jane" ever recorded.
In addition, these are the remastered versions with added tracks.
If you even have a passing interest in Lou reed it is worth the asking price.
The CD`s are presented in replica vinyl album sleeves and fit in a box not much bigger than the width of a single CD.
But for the money, a cracking collection of early Lou albums that others must envy..
For me, it's a great snapshot of those chaotic first few years - hangover/legacy VU songs intermixed with a freedom of expressing solo ideas and motifs.
An utter bargain - cardboard sleeves in a neat boxset, containing albums of rare individuality & quirky zeitgeist genius. IMHO.
I miss Lou. I miss Lou.........
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Excellent collection of Lou's first 5 solo studio albums. Great sound quality with nice packaging. My one quibble is the lack of booklets.
Lou Reed: 3. Read more
Some great albums by Lou. Ages since I've heard some of them, but they still sound good.Published 21 months ago by DAVID COOPER