Optics For Dummies Paperback – 27 Jul 2011
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
- Use optics principles and devices properly
- Avoid common mistakes in working with typical optics problems
- Determine image locations and characteristics with simple calculations
- Grasp the basic concepts behind lasers and laser applications
An illuminating exploration of optics and optical technologies
Get turned on to the study of light with this friendly guide to the world of optics. Discover how the fundamentals of optical technologies help brighten your everyday life from the common table lamp to more complex devices such as cellphones, cameras, x–ray machines, 3–D TVs, and more. With the enlightening facts presented in this book, you′ll never feel left in the dark in your optics course.
- Optics that are high in fiber get a grasp on the essentials behind fiber–optic cables for high–speed, long–distance communications
- Making the world look like you want it to learn how to calculate the location of an image and determine the image′s characteristics
- Shed light on light find out how light allows you to see, transmit data, cut things, and control electrical circuits
- Catch the waves understand the wave property of light and how waves are used to see things you can′t see with your naked eye
- Lasers pointing here and there discover the basic idea behind the laser and some of its uses in medicine and the military
- Look far away from Earth take a look at the different types of telescopes and what you can do with them
Open the book and find:
- The differences among incandescent and fluorescent light bulbs and diodes
- Tips for knowing what you can and can′t see in CAT scans, PET scans, MRI scans, NMR scans, and x–ray pictures
- Why you see things in 3–D
- The principles for testing eyesight and prescribing corrective eyeglass lenses
- The basic ideas involved in making a laser
- The behavior and properties of visible, infrared, and ultraviolet light
About the Author
Galen Duree, Jr., PhD, is Professor of Physics and Optical Engineering at Rose–Hulman Institute of Technology in Indiana, where he is also the Director of the Center for Applied Optics Studies. Duree jointly established the Ultrashort Pulse Laser Laboratory at RHIT and continues to work with the Navy.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Sorry, but this is definitely not for dummies (or "beginners"). I would recommend it as a good revision book for those studying physics at a higher level, say HND or BSc. but I, personally, can't cope with it.
But I need to write another 7 words before I can submit!
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Civil Engineering > Mechanics
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Education > Higher Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Electronics & Communications Engineering > Electronics Engineering > Applied Optics
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Engineering Physics
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Mechanical & Materials Engineering
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Education > Higher Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Popular Maths
- Books > Science & Nature > Physics > Light, Optics & Laser
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Engineering > Mechanical & Material Engineering
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Physics