Customer reviews

Open House
Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 August 2017
... about a sad topic - a deserted family - sympathetically written. i have to admit that at the start I found myself thinking of an Anne Tyler-type protagonist; the sort I rather want to give a good shake - but then there would be no story if they pulled themselves together and soldiered on! Anyhow, I persevered and was glad I did. Elizabeth Berg's writing is so easy to read and draws her reader in so subtly. Yes, it's formulaic. So what? It doesn't matter because it's done so well. This turned out to be one of my favourite EB books. It cannot fail to please.
on 3 October 2002
I loved the start of this book - the domestic details interspersed with the pain Samantha experiences when her husband leaves, is really touching. As the book went on though, I began to find it too light, the pain and hardships are glossed over in favour of the various amusing experiences of Samantha's life. The fact that the end is so happy does not ring true for me, especially considering her son. Overall, a reasonably enjoyable read, but not as indepth as Oprah's other choices, most of which I enjoyed more.
on 10 December 2012
Got right into this book until about the middle when it became inevitable what the outcome was going to be. Still enjoyed it though.
on 20 February 2001
I loved the style of writing in this book. I laughed and cried and wanted to hug Samantha.She was a character that was a live from the first page and every friend I have lent this book to has really enjoyed it.
A delightful funny piece of light reading.
on 14 March 2002
Open House is a light read trying to look at the funny side of finding yourself on your own after so many years of marriage. The story is light reading that can be finished in a day but it without a doubt, make you strike a connection with Samantha. A very good read.
on 31 December 2015
Bought this as it was an Oprah booklist title - it was a good read but it didn't change my life. It did introduce me to a new (to me) author with a large back catalogue though and I always appreciate that.
on 9 January 2002
A short story you will start in the morning and will have it read by evening. Read and share the exeriences Samantha is delt with when she and her husband decide to live separately. The funny stories of all she is faced. You will feel as though you have lived in her house yourself. The book is amusing and very charming.
on 3 December 2015