on 30 September 2013
Okay, I'll admit it, it takes a lot to get me frighten, but this one takes the cake. It is like reading with one eye closed, because you're afraid of what's coming next but you can't pull yourself away. When I read the book title description, " A Dark Psychological Thriller" I thought, sure we'll see.

After reading this book, all I can say is calling this "A Dark Psychological Thriller" is a major understatement.

Caroline Gebbie has done a most excellent job in creating a horrific tale. The writing is flawless, the characters are real and the flow of the story is face paced. I could see this up on the big screen, and betcha it would do great.

In closing, this book was more than I ever expected, quality work deserving to be read. I think I have found Stephen Kings equal within the works of Caroline Gebbie. Grab a copy and be forewarn, this will get you and will awaken those deep seeded fears!
on 6 June 2014
This is not my usual type of book but as it was free I decided I would try a different genre. Very gory and very explicit and quite brutal I places. Not a real happy ever after story. I read to the end and did enjoy it. It was reasonably well written and compared to other free e books was edited well. If you like blood and gore you will enjoy this/ Only a 3 because it was not my cup of tea.
on 7 July 2013
This book is the perfect escapist psychosocial horror!

The thing about real life stories is well... they're just a bit too much like real life! I read for an entertaining escape from life and this book certainly delivered. It has all the perfect ingredients. The hard working good cop who's doing his best in a system set to thwart all his hard efforts to save a series of boys who have mysteriously gone missing. There is gore, and plenty of if. There are also lots of plot twists and turns to keep you turning the pages. Will Nathan make it to his football trials? Will he even survive? Will Sergeant Brookes even be put on the case so he doesn't have to detective in his spare time? The biggest mystery of all is much more than WHO is behind these sinister disappearances but more curiously is WHY they are doing it. Read it to find out.
on 21 May 2014
Wow!! Im offically afraid of being out after dark now.... had me gripped from the first line, so many twists and turns in this blood-thirsty thriller. Was a bit dissapointed with how the book ended though, its dtill a 5**** review! Eould definetely read more by this author
on 28 May 2014
I really enjoyed this book and warmed straight away to some of the characters. I liked Michael and I rooted for Nathan all the way through and didn't I just want to strangle Pearson. This book is Caroline Gebbie's most violent book yet and definitely not for the Mills and Boon brigade. My only criticism is that I found the end to be rushed and did not do a really good story, justice. I have read all three novels now and will certainly be on the lookout for number four. You have a dark mind Mrs Gebbie, and I like it. I am now also quite concerned that my cats are going to eat my lips while I'm asleep!
on 23 November 2014
CLIVE...........A very easy read and a very gory story.
It was a very easy book to get into and the main characters were very well thought out.
What I found very frustrating was the very quick ending it was if the author ran out of ideas, 1 more chapter would have done it just to tie up all the loose ends and to find out how the boys coped and how the main characters were received at the police station.
On the whole a very good book and I will read another by this author. Would I recommend this book.....Yes download and enjoy and remember STAY OFF DARK STREETS.....................
on 2 July 2013
If you love reading horror-thrillers, you will want to read One By One. This book has so much inventiveness in its horror that I literally felt the visceral experiences of the characters. Plus, the storylines are well-written, interwoven smoothly between the police, the victims, and the hooded one. Really a thrilling read. I could not put it down and read the whole thing in one fell swoop! I am quite impressed with Caroline Gebbie's style of writing, as well as the magnetic attraction of her plots! A great read for vacation or anytime!
on 26 March 2014
It was not one of my normal reads but found myself liking it.
I felt the writer gave this little thriller enough detail without being over doing it.
on 6 November 2013
I chose this rating as the story even though very blood thirsty and shocking was a first class book ,could not put it down, a truly great read.
on 13 July 2014
I read a lot and enjoy a really good crime, crime/thriller and even supernatural book, but I found this book not to my taste. The title "A Novel of Terror" was a little exaggerated, the storyline was repetitive and quite frankly rather silly. Whilst I appreciate it was just a story I found the portrayal of cats quite distasteful. Also why was it necessary to use American spelling for a lot of words. I've read much better. Don't think I'll be reading any more books by this author.