Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon 21 June 2010
When I saw that another Malory Novel was being published I was pleased and curious to know who the main character could be. I thought it might be one of Edward's two sons or even one of the single Anderson men. I didn't dream of it being Jean Paul first met in Drew's story. To be honest I am a little disappointed that the roles played by the Malory/ Anderson's was minor indeed. Having said that I enjoyed Richard and Julia's tale. They were lively warm and very likeable characters and like all Ms Lindsey's characters they strike sparks off one and other and the plot although rather unbelievable is rendered plausible by Ms Lindsey's immense talent. Her style is easy to read and her characters jump from the page. While I think calling it a Malory Novel is stretching it a little bit I would nevertheless recommend it to anyone who wants to escape for a very pleasant afernoon.
33 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 December 2003
I've always been a great fan of Johanna's books, but after her last few disappointing novels, I was beginning to think that she had lost her talent.
Fortunately, it looks to be that she's on her way back. Although not up to the great standard of her earlier works (ie Savage Thunder, Man of my Dreams and the Malory novels), this book is a great improvement over her more recent novels.
A bit slow to start (too much narration), but got better once the girls met Chad. The evolving relationship between Chad & Marian, a train robbery and kidnapping, plus a few unexpected twists and turns kept those pages turning.
Fingers crossed, Johanna's new Malory novel due out later this year, is back to the excellent standard of her earlier novels.
on 1 June 2014
I have to admit I was looking forward to reading this book, I am an avid fan of johanna Lindsey but haven't read one of hers for a while, I am so disappointed , in fact the story was way off her usual feisty characters and great plots ,I've preordered her latest which is out soon, I hope it's better than this work because I'll just have to give her a miss (it's like someone else wrote the book).
on 19 March 2012
I bought this kindle version as I am an avid Johanna Lindsey fan but I was bitterly disappointed and felt I paid far too much for the book. The book is not up to her usual standard (when I say 'usual' I mean similar to the Viking/Arabian & Russian series, and the earlier Malory series which to be honest has been milked enough!), the storyline seems to be the same old structure and the romantic connection between the main characters is seriously flawed. I bought it as I own every single one of her books but to be honest over the last few years everything she has published seems to be churned out using the same recipe and its getting very boring. I doubt I will continue to buy her books as they do not keep me as interested as they used to.
One of the first romances I ever read was a JL. My keeper shelf has many of her books, and if I've read A Gentle Rogue once, I've read it fifty times, at least. But this new book, One Heart to Win, isn't a keeper for me. I skimmed a lot, and I mean a lot. I was bored and restless, very disinterested, and I almost decided to DNF it, but I hate to do that with a book. So I plodded along, and that's honestly what it felt like. There's no real excitement, no real action, no real romance. On finishing the book, I ended it without feeling any love for or about this couple.

I have no strong connection to Tiffany, who is really a blah heroine to me, nor do I feel I actually know or love the hero, Hunter, all that much either. He barely stands out in the story. He's really hardly there. For me, both h/H are missing depth and boldness and vibrancy. Where's the romance? Where's that quick dialogue and interaction showing and not telling me they have a connection with each other? I felt no connection to either Tiffany or Hunter, and I felt no chemistry or true passion between them. Not enough time is spent with them actually being together. I wanted more time together, more intimacy. Not necessarily more sex, but more intimacy. As for the sex/love scenes, they were very lacking. Just quick, vague and without any heart.

I wasn't that interested in the overall storyline and the whole reason for Tiffany's parents' separation. Really boring. And Tiffany's impersonation could have been more fun and interesting than it was. This story could have been amped up a lot more than it was. But really, the most disappointing thing about this book is the actual romance itself. I did not feel it. No genuine feeling of love or need; I had no feeling of urgency to see this couple kiss, or make love, or just look at each other and go to that deep place of forever. For me, there was no passion, no romance, and no investment. A big disappointment.
on 5 February 2004
A real disappointment. I'm a great fan of this author and truly can not believe she wrote this. I don't need books to be true to life but this was so unbelieveable it made me cringe. Don't waste your time - the first quater of the book nothing happens anyway and is just narrative. If you do read the book bare in mind this is not a true reflection on the authors usual works and standard.
on 20 June 2016
Beautiful written. Your heart bleeds for the twin Mari. Wishing she would find her courage to act, in spite of her more convenient twin Mandy.
One twin hiding, the other wanting and demanding all the attention.
What adventure of personal growth the both go on.
on 14 May 2012
I read this book really quickly because it was quite addictive. It even surprised me even though I have read so many JL books that I can kind of guess her work. But she had me surprised and the last time I had a shock reading her book was the twist in Tender is the Storm. Great book, I highly recommend it. Downside.. male character could have been developed a bit more before they actually got together but there really wasn't enough pages to do that, so I am sure that got cut out in the editing!
on 20 June 2013
I agree with the earlier reviewer that this book is rather a let down. I have all of JL's books, am a real fan, and read them over and over again. This one, however, is lacking in story and character depth.

I can't connect with Tiffany. Her decisions seem strange and unnatural given the circumstances. Hunter is too vaguely written. Even the two intimate encounters they have are dull. A shame as I was really looking forward to this book.
on 4 January 2014
I love johanna books but this one let me down . skip a lot of it there no funny bits. pls johanne let your next book be like the older ones