- Also check our best rated Biography reviews
One Child Paperback – 6 Dec 2004
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
“Torey Hayden deserves the kind of respect I can’t give many people. She isn’t valuable, she’s incredible. The world needs more like Torey Hayden.” – Boston Globe
It has been a long time since you have read a book with the sheer emotional impact of One Child.” – New York Times
“Page after page proves again the power of love and the resiliency of life.” – Los Angeles Times
About the Author
Born in Montana, USA, Torey Hayden has spent most of her adult life working with children in distress. Now living in Great Britain, she divides her time between writing and volunteer work with several British charities. Torey is author of numerous internationally best-selling books about her experiences as a special education teacher and therapist. She has also written two novels and two children's books.
Find her at www.torey-hayden.com
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
Shelia dumped and left on a motorway by her mother was a deeply troubled soul as would anyone be traumatised by this event alone ....
"Finding Torey" was the making of her childhood their relationship developed.... One conversation Shelia said ( Torey had bought herclips for her hair) "Ain't nobody give me nothing before. Ain't nobody be nice to me on purpose"
It is a fascinating book I could never do justice in words.....Shelia is an amazing little girl and Torey with her infinite patience love and understanding makes it so special a book " The Best ".....
a story of trust. love and hope.
torey hayden recounts her life in the classroom of 'difficult' children and how she has helped stabalise them into teaching them and dealing with them and them dealing with everyday life.
this is a story about one child, sheila, aboandoned, unloved, abused and how she helped sheila.
there are lots of books out there about this subject. one story they all give is hope.
read this book and weep. weep for the lost childhood but, above all, weep for the hope
The charm of this books is not in hidden beneath jumbled metaphors and complicated text; it flows easily from page to mind to heart. The real charm of this books lies in the innocence of not only the tortured Sheila, but also that of Hayden, who we also are allowed to watch and feel for through the book, as she is our lense into the world that these children face. It's not done up with drama or long-winded, poetic meanderings of the writer's mind. It is instead based in the humble day to day activites sporatically disrupted by the natural drama that Sheila brings along. Every step of Sheila and Hayden's journey together, the reader is brought closer to their hearts, touched and angered by every event that occurs.
Hayden fights through her struggle to come out in the end more the wiser, as so does the reader. Wiser, less innocent, and so increadibly changed by the tremendous story of one little girl and the teacher who did nothing less and nothing more than simply love her.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Medical, Legal & Social Sciences > Medical
- Books > Biography > Medical, Legal & Social Sciences > Psychology
- Books > Biography > Social & Health Issues > Child Abuse
- Books > Biography > Social & Health Issues > Teaching & Learning
- Books > Biography > Tragic Life Stories
- Books > Education Studies & Teaching > Education Management & Organisation > Educational Psychology
- Books > Education Studies & Teaching > School Education & Teaching > SEN Teaching > Behaviourial Difficulties
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Families & Parents > Child Abuse
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Families & Parents > Raising Children > Child Development
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Internal Medicine > Paediatrics
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Applied Psychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Popular Psychology
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Education > Teaching Aids
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Education Studies
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Psychology Textbooks