on 17 January 2018
Disappointing.Hard-faced episodic gangsters intermjngled with sloppy portrayls of the same characters as they matured through their adolescent years into gangsters.
on 29 November 2017
Arrived promptly. Great film have been trying to find it for ages. Delighted.
on 27 October 2017
I alfeady knew what I was buying.It really is a superb film.
on 8 January 2018
This was bought for my stepdad for his Christmas.
on 24 October 2017
Good film
on 11 January 2018
john
on 17 November 2017
The first time I saw this film was opening day in 1984. I liked his Clint westerns from the mid 60’s and always love a good gangster film. All of us left the theatre 139 mins. later less than satisfied. Unfortunately we had no idea we had watched a completely butchered version of the film that jumped around too much and made little sense. We quickly forgot the experience and watched much more satisfying films for the rest of the summer popcorn infused flicks of the 1980’s.
Years later the complete version finally surfaced with little fanfare. This film is one of those that gets better every time you watch it, “if” one takes the time to sit down and really watch and absorb it.
The commentary track is ok but far from Richard Schickel’s best work as a commentator. To me he seems bored and probably lost a bet to someone and begrudgingly did this as a favour. I would much have preferred Sir Christopher Frayling, a Leone expert, to do it justice instead.
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 December 2017
This is a gigantic epic of a gangster movie, massively slow-paced by modern standards but utterly gripping if you enjoy watching a slow-burn story evolve through some brilliant performances of character actors.
This version runs to almost four hours - there's an intermission moment after about 2hrs which is really useful.
The story follows a group of teenage thugs as they develop into booze bootleggers during Prohibition, then flashes forward to the late 1960s. Everything revolves around the relationship between two of the gangsters, Robert de Niro and James Woods - and it is masterfully portrayed. Covers just about every angle of the gangster genre, and then some - with full-on bloody violence, brutality towards women and unflinching fights.
But the core of it is all about loyalty, betrayal and redemption.
It does get a bit confused here and there, because even this version is an edited form of an even longer story. The muscial score feels a bit inappropriate at times, too.
Even so, this is the benchmark to judge all other gangster films against.
8/10
on 22 October 2017
Before I start let it be known that this is in my top three films of all time, ALL TIME!! so whatever I may say now is by no means a negative towards the movie itself but the handle of this release.

I know Sergio Leone had a preferred cut to the one we know and love and I get that his family went to some trouble to get this extended cut released so to show the world his true vision. I have seen it, in one sitting, and I wasn't all that fussed by it, I truly believe the original cut is all you need to see, it didn't make the film worse, it just didn't really add anything necessary to it. Being one of my favorites I of course got a kick out of the extra scenes. I would have preferred an edition where you got this cut, the original release and just for history sake the US TV cut which sounds so awful its intriguing.

This edition was also out of print a few months later as well, something I didn't understand, I guess it was out there for the fans and not for a mainstream audience. The original release is all your gonna need so I would stick with that and certainly don't pay the money they ask for this edition as it isn't worth it, but still a mind tripping journey all the same.
on 3 November 2017
One of my favourite films of all time, fantastic cast with DeNiro at his greatest. The music is haunting, I defy you to watch it and not be humming the tune for days afterwards. It deals with adult themes and is not for the faint hearted but it is superbly crafted by a master of his art. If you have never seen it I urge you to do so, you will not be disappointed.