Once Paperback – Unabridged, 4 May 2007
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Once is the latest in the welcome new phase of James Herbert's career after he distanced himself from the straightforward "horror" tag afforded to him by earlier novels such as the Rats trilogy and cannily reinvented himself as a writer with considerably more psychological insight and elegance of style.
Trading on a grotesque reinvention of fairy stories, Herbert has his protagonist Thorn Kindred encountering witches, goblins and demons, and being obliged to turn to some very strange sources to save his soul. The new ambitiousness of Herbert's writing may be found in the underpinning of the narrative here: this is a grim and persuasively realised spin on Nietzsche's epigram: "When fighting monsters, beware of becoming one yourself." But long-time readers needn't worry about a lack of grisly chills: Herbert is too fine a writer not to keep us permanently on the edge of our proverbial seats. And he's better than ever at orchestrating his fear-filled climaxes, so that there is a carefully worked out structure to the book that never has the stop-and-start jerkiness of the early novels. Rather in the nature of Sondheim's musical Into the Woods, fairy tale motifs are exploded and reconstituted in this dark and erotic fable. After reading Once, fairy tales will never seem the same again. --Barry Forshaw --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
"Herbert's characters are compelling, and his characters . . . vivid and complex."-"Kirkus "(starred review) "The king of British horror.""-Publishers Weekly" "A new James Herbert novel is always a mesmerizing experience."-"Fangoria"See all Product description
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Delivered super quick and well packaged
Thank you :-)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Crime, Thrillers & Mystery > Thrillers
- Books > Erotica > Literature & Fiction > Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror > Fantasy
- Books > Erotica > Literature & Fiction > Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror > Horror
- Books > Fiction > Literary Fiction
- Books > Fiction > Myths & Fairy Tales
- Books > Horror > Contemporary Horror
- Books > Horror > Fantasy
- Books > Horror > Thrillers
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Contemporary
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Fairy Tales
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Low Fantasy
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Sword & Sorcery