Customer reviews

On Wet Foundations
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.95

on 9 July 2015
An interesting little story. The story covers the first year or two that the author and her husband obtain the barge on a whim, and refurbish it over a period of time while living aboard, and then cruise down through Holland, into Belgium, and from there into France.

I was surprised to read in the epilogue that they ended up living on Colibri for 15 years. I should say that the book does not go into the vast majority of that time frame, although I believe there is another book that follows on from the first.

I always find people's motivations for chosing this lifestyle the most interesting part - I got quite bored with the detailed description of the refurbishments of the boat - although I understand that others might find that the most interesting part! In the end, the decision to stay afloat was made for them, when their house in England developed a structural fault and became worthless - the book does not say the outcome of that - we do not learn whether the insurance paid out in the end (I guess not).

I'm sure anyone one with an interest in alternative lifestyles, barging, or canal boating will find this a moderately enjoyable read.
on 30 December 2013
Fascinating, interesting story about buying and living on board a big Dutch barge whilst converting it from almost derelict commercial vessel into a comfortable, character filled home then taking a year out to cruise the many rivers and canals of France. Light, easy relaxing reading that meanders your mind gently along rivers and canals along with the writer. Should leave you looking forward to the sequel !
on 12 July 2014
Escapism at its best. But, why oh why wasn't it properly proofread? One errant 'it's' is careless but to get it wrong time after time after time, I found profoundly irritating. Pedantry perhaps, but for me the lack of the properly apostrophised, i.e. non apostrophised, possessive pronoun really spoilt my enjoyment of the tale. I hope that the subsequent books are better edited.
on 4 January 2013
A different type of book for me to read about a couple converting a barge in Holland/Belgium in order to live on it. Better than expected and would be even better had I known the area in which they travelled. It definitely did not make me want to do the same.
on 17 March 2016
First class. So well written that I read it in one sitting and then promptly ordered the follow up.
on 2 February 2016
Would not buy another book on this subject by this author, but it was reasonable.
on 8 May 2014
BRILLIANT BOOK EXTREMELY FUNNY BUT ALSO SO REALISTIC YOU COULD IMAGINE YOURSELF IN THAT situation? I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THE CAPITAL LETTERS DISAPPEARED TGERE?
on 19 January 2013
I really enjoyed this book, it was funny and interesting but I was a little disappointed by the end. Perhaps there will be another volume.
on 22 March 2015
A very interesting book full of numerous anecdotes a little tedious at times with some overly descriptive lock movements but nonetheless an enjoyable book.
on 29 September 2015
About to head off for similar adventures, although our barge is complete, this was a lovely easy, but informative read, that I am sure I shall dip into time and again