Format: DVD|Change

on 4 May 2007
I have been a great fan of as time goes by for years, and was as a result recommended On the Up (written by the genteel Mr. Bob Larbey)

So after many weeks I finally bought the three series. And what a surprise, good paced genuinely funny (with some great laugh out loud moments, mostly including Mrs Wembley, the great late Joan Sims!) and highly watch able. Each character has there own winding road for you to follow and enjoy. Don't be put off by looks, its surprisingly worth while watch!
on 7 February 2009
One of the best comedy series produced by the BBC. Brilliantly performed by Dennis Waterman, Sam Kelly, and the late great Joan Sims. After watching each episode it left you wanting to see more.
on 3 August 2008
A great and funny treat, as one would expect from the pen of Bob Larbey ("As Time Goes By"; "A Fine Romance"). The only reason it doesn't earn a fifth star is the thinness of some of the acting: Dennis Waterman as Tony is a trifle over the top, while Judy Buxton as Ruth is transparently acting - but those are personal opinions with which others probably won't agree. Others in the cast leave little or nothing to be desired: The lovely, warm Jenna Russell as Maggie, the P/A and Sam Kelly as Sam the chauffeur. A separate mention is reserved for the magnificent late, great Joan Sims as the cook, Mrs Wembley. What an outstanding artiste she was and how greatly missed! This is great fun, and will appeal to anybody who enjoys a good laugh, especially as it cocks a snook at "the establishment" in portraying these so-called underdogs as top dogs. British humour to savour and savour again. Buy it!
on 4 December 2009
Here's another fine series to tryout if you're an American craving new Britcoms that you haven't seen on PBS. This is a very pleasant, warm comedy with characters that (for the most part) actually like each other for a change. As others have said, the wonderful Joan Sims ("Madge" on As Time Goes By) is especially good but the whole cast is great.
The plot centers on the personal and business struggles of the owner of a successful car rental agency. What's nice about it is that he's honorable and, while rich, hasn't let it go to his head.
The chemistry between the actors is great. You can tell they like each other and the show. Very well-written and enjoyable. A pleasant change from "edgy" comedies both American and British.
Like me, you'll wish the series was longer. A steal at this price.
on 31 July 2010
This is a forgotten but absolutely delightful series. The cast work beautifully together with only the superb Dora Bryan being replaced as his mother by a less sympathetic character after the first series. Sam Kelly is absolutely superb as the stroppy chauffeur. 'Just the one Mrs. Wembley' is a catchphrase from the wonderful Joan Sims that will always be with me.

I orginally bought the set for myself and then gave it to my father who loves it. I bought myself another set which my mother saw and ended up with and so have bought myself a third set, which I intend to keep this time.

If you like gentle English humour at it's best then treat yourself and enjoy.
on 19 October 2011
We loved this series and my Mum needs to have things to watch on TV when she has sleepless nights. I saw this and thought it was such good value - she's absolutely delighted with it and has watched it all twice now!
on 27 July 2010
We watched this series when first shown on TV and thoroughly enjoyed it then. It was wonderful to spend time with Dennis Waterman, Joan Sims and Sam Kelly all over again. The acting was absolutely superb - we frequently found ourselves sitting up quite late to watch the next and even the next instalment. We knew we would be in for a relaxing and enjoyable time caught up in the day to day lives of these three wonderful characters. I suppose Sam Kelly was our absolute favourite but all three of them were a joy to watch. One very sad moment - when we came to the last disc. We knew we would miss Tony, Mrs. Wembley and Sam and the time spent away from day to day cares. 'On The Up' will definitely not be put away and forgotten. Given time it will be brought out again and hopefully again and again. If you enjoyed it first time round, or missed it completely then we recommend without hesitation that you go ahead and buy it.
on 22 June 2015
I loved this series. I had never seen it before when it was on TV but vaguely recall the catch phrase 'just the one Mrs Wembley'. I was so hooked on this box set I had to ration myself to seeing just a few episodes each day. All the characters were brilliant and worked so well together. Very funny and enjoyable. It's a pity Dora Bryan as the mum couldn't continue into series two and three but I guess she had other commitments elsewhere. I'm glad the storyline ended up with everyone happy. It was nice to see this comedy set in a real house and not in a studio. It was a lovely house; I wouldn't mind living there myself! I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a laugh with that 'feel good' atmosphere.
on 1 February 2009
Great acting and script with Dennis Waterman shining. Plenty of laughs with a social agenda
on 29 August 2014
Gentle humour. This series got better as it went along so stick with it. It shows the ins and outs of a dysfunctional family . The wife married a bit of rough who made it rich but is unable to accept his friends or family. But neither can he adapt to her so called friends! Full of inuendoes and wise cracks