Customer reviews

On The Edge: My Story
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£7.49

on 18 February 2014
I am not a top gear fan. But this was recommended to.me by an ex racer friend of mine who had suffered a brain injury. I read it in 3 sittings. Couldn't put it down. It explains the lead up to the accident and the aftermath and importantly for me, the recovery.
When I raced (on 3 wheels),yes I crashed, I was lucky, nothing more than bumps , bruises and concussion. I can't imagine what it is like to see your partner in a coma, wired to machines, Mindy's share of the book explains the helplessness,realisation and inner strength to help that recovery.
Superb book, glad I read it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 January 2015
On the Edge This is an excellent book, I listen to it a couple of years ago as an audiobook, but bought it now because 1.) It was so good I want to read it again and 2.) It will look smashing in my bookshelf 3.) I have a bit of a Top Gear obsession (and I’m not even a car fan)

But anyway, if you are after a great autobiographical book, then this is one I wholeheartedly recommend!
on 23 September 2017
Very emotional heartfelt story - what a guy to have gone through that and what a woman for looking after him so well. Real love - glad they got through it together.
on 3 June 2017
read this book in two days, very emotional, have tissues ready
on 20 September 2017
arrived packaged fine and nothing to complain about
on 3 September 2017
Very much appreciated that I got to hear (audiobook) such a story.
on 17 February 2008
Having read this book for a second time in three days, I am stunned by the power and honesty in the writing of both Richard and Mindy. The first few chapters of the book, written by Richard, offer a valuable insight into a man who loves life, machines, speed, thrills and most importantly, Mindy and their two little girls.

Life takes a dramatic turn after the crash and Mindy's account of her bedside vigil with Richard is beautifully written, heart-wrenchingly honest, painful, funny and poignant, as she recounts every tiny step Richard makes from coma to recovery. As someone who has sat in that chair next to the hospital bed of a seriously ill loved-one, I identify completely with her metaphorical elastic band, pulling her back to Richard every time she ventured to the coffee machine in the hospital. Without doubt her love played a huge part in Richard's healing.

Richard also writes candidly about his slow, painful and frightening recovery. His brutal honesty of how his brain injury affected him is humbling, and only serves to remind me of how precious and vital our consciousness and cognitivity are. I had no idea how terrified and confused brain injured patients can be. I admire enormously the courage and determination shown by Richard, who with the constant love and support of Mindy and his family, managed to gradually claw himself back through recovery, and most importantly enjoy life once again as a husband dad, son, brother, friend, colleague.

Thank you to both of you - brilliant.
on 5 November 2007
For a couple to go into so much depth about their most personal moments is very brave, Richard and Mindy Hammond have done so with great dignity. I enjoyed this book very much because I knew that the ending was a happy one, but the book takes you through so much it is sometimes hard to remember that fact. I hope it really does help families going through similar trouble.
on 14 November 2007
I read this book in one sitting. It's not just for car fanatics; it is for anyone who has suffered serious injury, or anyone who has been in love. It is also, unlike many autobiographies, exceptionally well written.

Hammond skips through his childhood and early career in a breezy manner which allows the reader to understand how he came to where he is today without being bogged down in detail or feeling the story drags. His accident was horrific; his recovery was described as swift and miraculous by the media but behind the scenes the struggles were immense and still remain. His story is told in blunt detail; his honesty and that of his wife who co-narrates the book is to be commended. Above all though this is a love story. Love of friends, of family, and that of a husband and his devoted wife. Unmissable.
on 3 November 2007
An amazing, compelling book. I couldn't put it down. Richard & Mindy share with true honesty & courage their story (stories?) after Richard's crash and its aftermath. It is a very moving book, making me cry more than once. But it is also an awe-inspiring book about recovery from a near-tragic event & of two people who fall in love all over again as a result.

It has helped give me a truer picture & understanding of brain injury & the recovery process. I hope it will help anyone who may be affected by such an injury, either as patient or family member. To all the medics etc, thank you for returning the Hamster to our screens. To Richard & Mindy, thank you for being brave enough to revisit such dreadful events to tell us your stories.