Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 11 June 2015
This lock is really good. I've got s couple and needed one to have at work to lock my bike up in the shed we have. I also fancy riding out on lunch to shops / pubs and wanted it for that. I was prepared to throw away the bracket knowing they're usually pants but I've managed to get this one to work well! Take a look at the pic. It's fairy heavy so it's not something that will be on the bike all the time, it stays at work and I'll clip it to my bike when I know I'm gonna need it secured on my lunch. Would certainly recommend this.
review image
77 Comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 1 June 2016
We just bought 2 new ebikes at a grand a piece, so they need good insurance, and good insurance requires good locks. These Pitbull locks (the 8002, 8003 and 8005) are all Sold Secure Gold rated. BUT PLEASE NOTE the 8005 is the same lock as the 8003 but with the addition of the cable. THE CABLE IS NOT GOLD RATED, ONLY THE LOCK IS. If you rely upon the cable to secure the bike, you are going to come unstuck if you subsequently make an insurance claim on a policy that specifies a gold rated lock. It is only "for securing accessories" according to the blurb. Frankly, any cable lock is about as effective as a piece of string against a pre-meditated theft. They can be cut with good pliers, never mind bolt cutters. The only time I can see them being any use whatsoever is to prevent a casual passing grab and run, when you are sitting a few yards from the bike outside a cafe or something.

The lock itself is heavy and robust and should be good at its job. The mechanism feels smooth and free, but I am worried about the many reports of it seizing up. The keys do feel cheaply made with rough sharp edges. I am surprised that the instructions recommend lubricating the lock with WD40, I thought this was a common cause of locks getting gunged up because contrary to popular opinion, WD40 is not a lubricant.

The mounting bracket seems poorly designed to me, the stresses on the plastic when tightened up enough to stop it moving about are huge, I am not surprised that they snap. The twist and lock mechanism for attaching the lock to it causes further stress and strain, it is quite stiff. But on our ebikes, with extra wiring, extra thick frame and bulky battery under the rear rack, there is simply nowhere it will fit without causing obstruction. So I am going to have to concoct some velcro straps to attach the lock to the side of the rear rack (the bracket will not attach to the rack, it requires a tube at least 20mm thick, the rack frame is too thin for it to grip). I had a cheapo D-lock from Halfords years ago, the lock was pretty poor by modern standards, but it did have a very good bracket which fitted in to the drinks bottle mount points present on pretty much all bikes, I don't know why that isn't a more common solution, especially for these heavy brutes.

Overall, I am impressed with the quality of the lock for the money, much cheaper than the equivalent ABUS for example. The gold rating will satisfy any good insurance policy, so long as you use it properly. The mounting bracket seems flimsy, and in our case unusable anyway, and the cable is possibly useful to have now and then but should never be relied upon to secure the bike. I wouldn't even trust it to secure the front wheel (where our motors are) unless I was going to be close by. If someone is out with intent to steal a wheel, a cable will be no hindrance to them. I will be using a second of these for that.
on 25 November 2015
I've had two of these within a period of 4 months and both have failed. There appears to be a fault with the locking mechanism on the current batch. It starts fine but quickly gets to the point where you can't turn the key without 30 seconds wiggling around. I have tried lubricating the locks and everything. 5 stars for Amazon customer service. 1 star for a defective product.
on 15 February 2016
Bought it a month ago and now the lock is broken, although I have lubricated it right after purchase and again after I felt the lock was getting stiff. 3 days out of Amazon returns policy I now have to contact the manufacturer for help. Worst purchase from Amazon to date...
on 27 June 2014
It is well made, looks sturdy and most importantly, it gives me a peace of mind when I leave my bike fully locked. My thinking is - if they want to steal your bike, they will. No lock will protect you, so try to deter them as much as possible. This lock does the job. I've had it for over a year now and it has never jammed or kept me fiddling with keys.

And it easily locks two bikes!
on 27 July 2015
The quality of the lock and cable seems very good. The combined weight is quite heavy but it's something you'll be expecting from a heavy-duty lock.

I could give this product 5 stars if it comes with a good quality mount bracket. During my rides, I mount this on the frame of my road bike. However, after less than 10 days, a part of the bracket broke and the lock (along with the cable) fall off to the pavement during my ride. Good thing it happened while I was riding inside a dedicated bike lane on the park and not on the city main streets else it might have cause accidents.

Below is the photo of the broken part of the bike mount bracket. I hope the manufacturer creates a good quality mount on which can stand the weight it's suppose to carry everyday.
review image
on 16 November 2015
Entirely seized up after about 2 months of use. Fortunately seized up when not on my bike, but unable to open even after adding WD40
I bought a new vintage bike which is so pretty I am worried somebody will try to steal it. I have researched the best bicycle locks available on the market and On-Guard 8005 Pitbull Keyed Shackle Lock looked like the best option for me. The lock feels really strong, there is also additional cable provided for wrapping it around the bike if you want extra safety. I am now confident leaving my bike locked in public locations. I work in the city centre where many bikes get stolen, but mine is safe with this lock. High quality product, strongly recommended.
on 9 August 2014
Can a professional still steal the bike? Yes of course they can, but it takes more time. I bought two of theses because the bikes are worth £2000 new, so this is cheap to deter the thieves. On a reasonable bike a thief can take the expensive components, the upgrades, the parts not clamped or glued. These are heavy, no doubly and I wouldn't put them on the bikes permenantly as I often find I don't need them for circular routes etc. on the rear pannier rack is good enough for me. In addition they are great to really deter thieves when they are on my camper an rear cycle rack. Far to easy to just pinch a well secured bike with no lock. Had a lot of bikes and locks over the years, these fit the way I want to secure bikes now.
on 22 January 2016
The lock mechanism has broken after 2 months....fortunately when it was not locked to my bike........and the 100% guarantee is only valid in the US. Not impressed.