I got this to motivate me during the long winter. After a day at work I tend to crash in front of the TV and it certainly is helping. My target is the coveted 10000 steps a day.

But before I get into all that, what about the pedometer. It arrived very quickly. I found it a little fiddly to get working. I had to take the back off and re-seat the battery. A minor inconvenience, and that is the only complaint I have. Set up, once it's on, is a breeze.
The first day I set my baseline number of steps. I didn't want to overdo it, so my first week I have been gradually trying to improve on the baseline count. I have succeeded so far, except for Sunday (lazy day), but haven't yet managed the 10000 mark.

It does all the things it says in the description, and I have had no problems with the clip highlighted by some reviewers. It has stayed secure and I am fairly active at work, moving from sitting to standing frequently and some bending.

I have had pedometers before that if you shake them clock up a few more steps. Not this one and this seems by far the most accurate and hard to fool. You only get credit when you walk!
The price too is excellent. I certainly would not have paid the suggested retail of £20, but at £9 with free delivery for a bit of kit this good, it's a bargain!
on 2 February 2009
I've tried a number of pedometers from Amazon and this one is the best. It's step counting is accurate, which shouldn't be a rarity but in practise it is. Other pedometers I have tried have been up to 15% out, which is very disheartening, or are unable to count steps when you're running or jogging. This one is easy to use and I instinctively find myself trying to exceed my step count from the previous week, which is a good thing. The only problem with it is that it's a little larger than I would like, so you can't really wear it when you're dressed to impress.
33 comments| 154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 November 2009
This is my 1st pedometer. It is extremely easy to set and use and the instructions are very clear. It provides the number of steps made in large clear numerals, together with the current time in smaller numerals underneath. You can scroll back through the number of steps made during the previous 7 days too.
At the push of a button, the pedometer can also show how many aerobic steps you have taken, how many calories you used and your distance walked in kms. Again, this data can be accessed for the previous 7 days.
Now for the biggy - accuracy. I like to wear my pedometer on my bra strap between my breasts. There is no chance of it falling into the loo. But, for the benefit of male readers, I have tried it attached to my waistband as well. (NB I tried it attached to my dressing gown belt and it over read the number of steps dreadfully)
Bra Strap - this seems to over read by about 2% (on average) over shorter distances (I always give up counting when I get to 200 steps!) However, yesterday I walked 2.5kms and the number of steps I took was pretty much spot on. I also did a mix of normal steps and aerobic steps and I think it seemed to differentiate quite well, although I havent formally tested this. I have not tested the pedometer on my bra strap when walking up a steep incline.
Waistband - on shorter distances on the flat, this has proved to be bang on (occasionally 1 step over or under per 150/200 steps). I did walk 200 odd steps up a very steep incline though and the pedometer over read by 17 steps.
I have my doubts that any pedometer is 100% accurate, but I feel that I can pretty much rely on this one to give me a fairly accurate guide as to the number of steps I have taken throughout the day - provided I am not hill walking/mountain climbing!
0Comment| 159 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 July 2009
I wanted a simple pedometre that was light and accurate. That's exactly what I got. The only issue is the rest button is a bit of a faff to get to but maybe that's the whole point as to avoid accidental resetting.

The clip is very sturdy which is a problem I've had with others. I also like how the display turns itself off after a while to save the battery.

Great pedometre. Highly recommend it.
on 26 December 2011
I've bought cheap pedometers before, and discovered they stop working after a short time, or make rattling noises as you step. This pedometer doesn't, and is well worth the money. Not only is it accurate enough counting steps whether running, jogging, brisk walking, or a slow walk, it also counts the number of calories burned, and the approx distance travelled. It features a clock, and a seven-day memory, including the current day (so eight in total.)

Mine's over a year old. I haven't had to change the battery, and it still functions as it did the day I first used it. I never go out without it on!

I have it attached to either my jean's pocket, a zip pocket (on the side of my knee), or my belt. It counts steps consistently in all positions, and on all terrain too. So it works on pavements, off road, fields, and indoors.

You enter your weight (in kg) so it can approximate your calories burned, and your stride length (in cm) so it can approximate your distance travelled. It also keeps an aerobic counter, which is basically the steps taken after at least ten minutes of non-stop walking. The distance travelled is displayed in kilometres, and not miles, so you'll need to do the calculation yourself if you want to know your mileage.

Setting it up can be a little irksome, seeing as you need one of those tiny screwdrivers, or a toothpick to push the little rubber button on the back; the same to reset the unit as well. Once set up, however, you don't need to do it again, unless you want to adjust the time, or your weight/stride length.

Some other reviewers have commented on the size. I have seen other pedometers that are smaller, but I've also seen ones that are larger as well. I don't think it's that big, really.

The only downside is that you cannot reset the total steps taken. The unit resets itself at midnight each day. Seeing as I keep record of my steps taken per day, I don't think this matters much. Perhaps it could have included an on and off button, because, I think it increments slightly when on a train or bus, although I don't think that it's much.

All in all, probably the best pedometer out there.
on 17 July 2010
I've had this pedometer for a while now and have to say that once you set it up properly then it counts steps quite accurately.

I've given it 3 stars mainly because as the user you have to correctly estimate your stride length and i found it slightly difficult as I did not have a long enough stretch to use for this. Also to reset the stride length, you have to reset it all which is very inconvenient.

Other than this, for the price, it was a good buy.

No issues with seller, item was dispatched and received in a timely manner and in good condition.
on 23 December 2011
My doctor told me (after 40 years of playing sport) that I must continue to exercise. Yer fine, knees knackered, shoulder knackered, thanks Doc. He told me that walking was a pretty good exercise for someone of my advancing years. But, how much walking? Minimum 2,500 steps a day he said. How do I know how many steps I've done. Get a pedometer! I must say this is one of the best as far as I am concerned. As long as you programme it correctly, it is very accurate. Number of steps over the day (which it stores in its memory), also gives you the amount of calories you have burnt plus other relevent information to help you in your fitness regime. In fact, an excellent piece of kit that hopefully is going to keep me going for another 20 years (don't tell the wife).
on 2 December 2011
I have an Omron pedometer while my spouse has another brand. The Omron is a bit bigger than some pedometers, but their performance is better than most if you search the net and look at independent reviews- Omrons rank at the top! A few features you'll probably find useful:

-it can track your steps, as well as the calories your burned
-has a 7 day memory
-comes in several color choices (important for the gals)
-it has a safety clip to avoid dropping it

I have to say that these pedometers are probably one of the best (and most fun) ways to stay in shape and lose weight. Set up is easy, and once you're done with that, there's nothing left to do but to do it!

So how much should you walk? The most common recommendation is 10,000 steps a day- which is equivalent to about 5 miles. They get the 10,000 number from studies showing that adults who get this much exercise a day are healthy.

However know too that some research is beginning to show that some populations might need more, or can get by with less. For instance children may need more steps than this and some older adults may not be able to sustain 10,000 steps/day (one study found that a sample of HEALTHY older adults involved in weekly exercise programs reached an average of about 6,500 steps- suggesting that older adults may be able to get by with just 6,000 steps a day or so).

So what if you just want to lose weight? Well, I suggest starting out by first seeing how many steps you get on an average day at your current weight. Then, try to add steps each day, working up to 10,000 over time.

See where your weight is at when you reach the 10,000 step level, and if you still need to lose more, try to add another 2,000 steps a day. Keep in mind that each 2,000-2,500 steps is about a mile, or 100 calories for a 150-pound person.

So if you're looking to drop a few pounds, or to simply get fitter, try a pedometer! Also recommend The Sixty-Second Motivator for anyone who needs more motivation to stick with an exercise program.
on 16 November 2009
I never buy anything without first checking that it's been tried and tested by Good Housekeeping. Omron Style Two came out with lower marks so I opted for this previous model. It's brilliant and very accurate. Can't recommend it highly enough.Omron Walking Style One Pedometer with Step Counter Sensor Technology
on 1 April 2012
Omron Walking Style One Pedometer with Step Counter Sensor TechnologyI am a slightly disabled "over 60" who walks slowly and with a stick. I thought pedometers were for the athletic types I see out and about. What a shock I had when I discovered how few steps I was actually taking some days. Since using this, my mobility has improved, and though progress is slow, I truly feel the benefit.