on 25 September 2017
My original "round" Walking style One 1, has finally stopped working after 4 years continuous use. So I decided to get this to replace it. What a disappointment. Small, flimsy with horrible buttons that often need a hard push, can't clip it onto my pocket where my old one always went. And it seems that fat burned and aerobic walking minutes have been dropped.To cap it all a display that is half the size of the original and I cannot see it without my glasses.

It should not have been called a Walking Style One as it made e believe it was at least as good as my old one. It is not.

It get three stars because it does what it says, but not in the efficient way the old one did.
on 19 June 2015
A recent health check indicated I need to monitor my blood pressure and take more exercise. I got an Omrom blood pressure monitor from my local medical centre which was the same make as used by my doctor and it works well, so decided to get this to measure my cuirrent and future levels of exercise. As I am not a 'gym person' most of my exercise comes from walking.

The instructions are a bit terse, and the display screen quite small, so a bit fiddly and confusing to set up.You can download better instructions, but the link in the paper userguide supplied with the unit is incorrect. I found the instructions by going to the manufacturer's website, searching for pedometers, and then looking for the model number in the long list provided.

The unit comes with a battery (easily available coin-sized CR2032) already fitted. The battery is accessed via a cover on the back held in place with a small cross-headed screw. The battery type is 'engraved' on the cover. A small (and so easily lost) screwdriver is supplied, but any largish precision cross-head screwdriver would do. There is a low-battery indicator.

It needs to know your height and weight (in metric or imperial units). and from that can work out your step size. It also needs to know the time, so it knows when midenight is. It records normal and aerobic walking. From that it can work out how far you have walked (in metric and imperial units) and how many calories you have burned.

Easily worn on my belt using the grey plastic clip provided, but can also be suspended from a lanyard using the hole on the casing. Because it is fitted with motion detectors in 3D, it claims it can be used at any angle.

It automatically saves the previous day's readings at midnight for you. It can save up to seven days worth of data, so you can keep a record of your progress.

Seems to cover all the bases I need, and I find this a great incentive to get off my backside and try and beat yesterday's readings.

The instructions sensibly recommend you consult your doctor before undertaking any new exercise regime.
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 September 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Omron Walking Style One 2.1 Step Counter

Having used a couple of other `pedometers' this is the most discreet so far. I initially admired the small size of the unit as it could be used when wearing smart, more fitted clothes. Earlier ones work as well but may draw more attention to themselves; looking more like pagers or severe medical devices than step counters.

Split open the blister pack and out pops a handy little tiny cross thread screwdriver, for changing the battery, in a plastic bag. Put away somewhere safe for the future, I put mine back into the pack with the instructions; there is a battery already installed, ready to work after a quick press of any of the three buttons. Peel off the protective film over the face of the device, slide it into its clip and begin to try and set up the machine. I found this tricky and the instructions sparse. Really it is a case of press it and see what comes up. Height can go in metric or feet and inches, weight in kilos or lbs, stride length in cm or inches so best to have this info to hand in the appropriate format. There is also a twenty-four or twelve hour clock to set. Later it will show steps taken, aerobic ones, calories used and distance travelled (nice to have that in miles most only do km).

Not having the best eyesight for small numbers and words this step counter is not so attractive to me and I do think that the clip may work itself into coming adrift in wear making it more likely that the whole thing will fall, be lost or broken. However I wouldn't say don't buy it because of this, just factor it in when making your choice. I have turned mine around and clipped it to the edge of my jeans pocket so it could only fall into the pocket if it works loose.

There is no doubt in my mind that in order to lose or to maintain a good weight you must move about more than you'd think. Long hours at the desk, or sitting down travelling must be balanced by brisk walking to get your steps up to around the 10,000 per day mark. Checking your daily progress on a step counter is a satisfying and useful help towards good health.
33 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 July 2017
Pretty accurate mileage, once calibrated. No idea about the calories, but the number of steps - normal and aerobic is a useful feature to see how fit I'm getting. I wear the pedometer on a strap round my neck, tucked in. Holds a week's worth of data before overwriting. Starts each day at midnight. I could graph it out week-by-week if I could be bothered, but it's enough for me to know what sort of daily distance I'm averaging with the dog and curiosity on longer ventures. Just what I wanted. No idea how long the battery will last - I've had it 9 months and it's still going strong. Batteries are easy enough to replace though. It's fun: it's cheap. What's not to like?
on 19 February 2018
Had this model before and it was fine so when it stopped working I decided to replace with same model. The new one works when it wants to. I have checked that it is set up right and tested it several times by walking 200 steps and sometimes it records them correctly and other times it doesn't. Really disappointed will be returning and not re-ordering this make.
on 22 August 2016
Neat little pedometer that measures steps up and down as well as along, doesn't get triggered by bus journeys and so far stays firmly in its clip. If I walk at speed for 10 minutes or more it starts to count "aerobic steps" - these steps are also included in the overall day total but I can check aerobic steps to see how many I took where my heart was working a little harder. If you want more information you can enter your height, weight and stride length (choice of kg or lb, cm or inches plus km or miles for the output) and get distance walked and calories used. The clock can be set for 12 or 24 hours so it can tell the time as well! I wear it almost all the time and feel reassured at how many steps are involved in my daily life already - even inside the house - but it is useful as a spur to walking a healthy distance every day. Very happy with this purchase.
on 2 February 2018
This is a great little pedometer, but DO NOT buy the "frequently bought together" bundle. The bundle includes LR43 batteries, which are not the correct ones for this pedometer. The battery in the pedometer is a CR2032. Be warned.
on 17 March 2017
At first I thought this was ideal. However on using it a few times I realised if I chose to wear it all day to check my mileage and steps, etc. it was 'clocking up' steps when I was travelling in a car. It's a great pity because I thought I had a found a 'gem' - a step and mileage counter that was good but didn't require the use of a computer or smart 'phone. I've decided not to use step counters, etc. now. After all I know roughly how far I am walking and, after all, does it really matter how many steps you do, etc.?!
on 6 April 2017
This item did not work. Tiny text on bottom of screen was too small to read without a magnifying glass. The functions did not function, there was no step counting. The instructions were too sparse to be useful. The device didi not do any of the functions the instructions stated. Altogether a totally useless product. I returned the first one, got a replacement but it was exactly the same problem. Returned the second one but because it was a replacement I get zero refund. I am now out the original price. Very unhappy. Could not find a way to contact Amazon to get a refund.
on 28 January 2017
This the fourth Omron we have purchased, all the same model. Neat, small, but not perhaps as accurate as more sophisticated models. For us the the 4 displays are sufficient as we only want to know if we are meeting reasonable daily targets.
It is difficult to set up, for the non-computer older generation and the buttons and display small.
Changing the batteries is irritating as the Omron has to be re-set each time with personal information, even if one has not let the batteries run down completely, it does not hold the settings for even 1 second!
But, same model used over 3 years, and each has had 1/2 battery changes. Battery lasting 6/9 months.