on 2 February 2014
When you pay more than 500£ for a product you ll expect a prime experience! It s not the case with this useless box!
True the sound quality is good, but the wifi reception is very bad so sounds are cut every 2minutes! And you can t enjoy your music. Besides the connection to your wifi is very slow each time you switch it on...i can understand if for a first connection, but once everything set up, i don t understand what s it doing during all this long time!
When you take it outside, you will need a wire connection! Which is very surprising! You can find much less expensives boxes that use blue tooth or even wifi but without the need of a rooter!
Guys look for an other music box this is rubbish especially for the price you pay!
on 22 March 2015
Nice sound but dear oh dear.... If B&O are great at sound but dire at wireless network technologies then don't bother - oh, maybe that's why the replacement for this product is Bluetooth rather than AirPlay/wifi - on AirPlay it couldn't hold a signal over 2ft for more than 2 minutes - utterly useless as a mobile solution. Thanks for the refund Amazon! Libratone Zipp is far better replacement - if supposedly less durable battery but better 360 sound
on 16 February 2013
The unit seems well made , better in flesh then in pics. I love my sound and needed to replace a Bose sound dock 10 in the dining room. This ticked the boxes I needed. Sound quality wise it's fine for what I need it to do , it does lose quality at higher volumes but not enough for an issue when you consider it's size (car battery).
My issue is the wifi/airplay most people buying this will use the airplay function but each and every time you want to use it-say in the morning -you have to press the wireless key to link it to your ipad or iphone etc this does not take more then 45 secs but how bloody crap is that ! Switch it off to standby and then on again you have to relink it.
It will not link to more then one airplay device at a time and you must disable the prior unit before trying to connect the next.
Also it hates the microwave and simply gives up when that is being used.
I cannot comment on the battery life as my unit stays plugged in.
Will I keep the biolit or go for the bowers and Wilkins a7 that i also looked at ( far better sound wise) mmmmm not sure yet cos of price, this I managed to get amazon at 386 and bowers and Wilkins is currently 700 so we will see how I get on with this poxy wifi button!
Oh yes it does emit a light humming when on but nothing being played , does go off when you power down the unit but then of course you have that wait for the wifi if you want to start up again......agggghhhhh:)
update 25 jan 2014 ==================
Sent it back as it started to crackle at high volume, I have to say i think its a great unit let down by crap software (the waiting to sync is just terrible) and it would stop recieving when microwave or washer on. If they can fix this I would buy again
on 8 December 2013
Setup was a really unhappy experience. B&O nowhere does your support page or instruction leaflet say that this product does not support 802.11n connectivity!!!! It took me 3 hours and at least 20 attempts, resets etc. to find that out. Once i moved the router to 802.11b/g/n mode connection worked flawlessly.

The sound quality is good, without exaggeration at either end. However this is still a mono device, so you essentially get nothing more than what an old radio used to give you - i.e. no stereo. The sound is very directional - you have to be in front of the unit to experience any degree of quality. The sound goes nowhere near what the price suggests. This kind of sound you can get for much less.

Essentially the only quality of this product is portability. If you want to take high quality (mono) sound outdoor on your terrace or on a picnic you may consider this unit. However it is not a replacement even for a small home stereo.

EDIT: Today i tried the speaker using an SRS-Wow HD sound enhancing app. Boy, what a difference! This almost solves the mono sound issue. The two technologies seem to be a perfect match. I am still not raising my star rating because at this price i should not have had to use mind trickery to get a decent sound stage.
44 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 August 2012
The design is very contemporary, elegant, and understated; it combines retro features with a timeless quality, which means that it will not date in a couple of years. The Beolit is extremely solid and well built. No black dusty fabric!

It also works wirelessly using AirPlay (PC/Mac). I followed a YouTube video (Beolit 12 - Setup) to link it to my broadband network for wireless playing - you only need to do this once. Very easy. It works perfectly. I understand the software was upgraded some months ago. You can also use an App to link it to your network, but I found using the Ethernet cable provided easier.

It definitely has the best sound of any speaker of this size.

Two problems:

1. The back compartment is too small to store the UK power lead and plug when you want to take it to the garden and use the battery - probably not an issue in other countries.

2. The software needs another update as it takes a couple of minutes for the Beolit to join the network for Airplay, every time you switch the Beolit on! - this is almost instantaneous with any other Airplay device. However, as I mainly use it connected to my iPhone 5 this is not a big deal.

UPDATE:

After a few months of use the back door's catch broke - could not close the door anymore! I do not know how this happened. However, I took the Beolit back to John Lewis, they gave me a full refund, and with the money I bought the new Beoplay A8.

Will I buy a Beolit 12 again? Well, I will now keep the Beoplay A8 which is far superior, and perhaps wait for the next generation of Beolit and buy another one for the bedroom/study (if they get rid of that silly door catch and fix the software for quick Airplay connection)!

It is beautiful and it sounds great!
on 11 August 2015
Haven't had speakers of this quality in my house before so can't say enough about the sound quality, especially vocals it seems, that come out of this B&O picnic basket. Still worth buying even if you don't plan to use the wireless function & choose to plug in an ipod
on 30 June 2015
The speaker did not work properley .When returned I could not get a replacement for the original price. Most disappointed !