- Hardcover: 877 pages
- Publisher: William B Eerdmans Publishing Co; 2nd edition edition (24 Oct. 1996)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0802837883
- ISBN-13: 978-0802837882
- Product Dimensions: 15.9 x 4.3 x 23.5 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.9 out of 5 stars See all reviews (9 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 31,638 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Old Testament Survey: The Message, Form and Background of the Old Testament Hardcover – 24 Oct 1996
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Back Cover
Since its publication in 1982, Old Testament Survey has served as the standard textbook on the background, content, literary quality, and message of the Old Testament. The second edition of this excellent work has been thoroughly revised and updated to take into account new research in the field of Old Testament studies. The book now also includes important new contributions from six leading biblical studies scholars: Leslie C. Allen, James R. Battenfield, John E. Hartley, Robert L. Hubbard Jr., John E. McKenna, and William B. Nelson Jr. Reflecting the best of evangelical scholarship, Old Testament Survey provides a comprehensive study of the nature and contents of each of the thirty-nine books of the Old Testament and also considers the historical data and theological themes relevant to the Hebrew Scriptures. Part 1 covers the five books of the Pentateuch. Part 2 studies the books of the Prophets, with special consideration given to the birth and history of Israel's monarchy, the role of prophets and prophecy, and the nature of Hebrew poetry. Part 3 examines the Writings, including a special study of wisdom literature in general. Part 4, which has been relocated from the front of the book to the back, contains studies of various background themes necessary for understanding the Old Testament: "The Authority of the Old Testament for Christians", "Revelation and Inspiration", "The Concept of Canon", "Formation of the Old Testament", "Geography", "The Chronological Puzzle", "Archaeology", and "Messianic Prophecy". All of the revisions and enhancements undertaken in this volume will make Old Testament Survey even more serviceable for college and seminary use as well as for study byscholars, pastors, and interested lay readers.
About the Author
William Sanford LaSor(1911-1991) was the professor emeritus of Old Testament at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, California.
David Allan Hubbard (1928-1996) was president emeritus and professor emeritus of Old Testament at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, California.
Frederic William Bush is Senior Professor of Ancient Near Eastern Studies at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, California.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Recent Customer Reviews
All went as well as it could go with this order. No delay, item arrived in condition as described and I have no reason for complaint.Published on 30 April 2014 by Alma Abbs
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Bible > Bible Studies > Old Testament > Commentaries
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Bible > Bible Studies > Old Testament > Criticism & Interpretation
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Judaism > Sacred Writings > Hebrew Bible (Old Testament)