Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Christmas Soul Playlist Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

Old Sock
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 July 2017
Another excellent CD from Eric Clapton, lots of good vibes, classic songs treated in his unique way. Gary Moore would certainly have liked Eric's version of 'Still got the Blues' for example. Top production as always. If you like Eric, you will want to have this one in your collection. Some negative comments about this one from some of his otherwise dedicated fans, couldn't see why.
on 3 June 2017
I'm a massive fan of Eric Clapton and have most of his albums but this one is the worst he has made. Instantly forgettable stuff despite several listens
on 13 October 2015
Being a couple that lived on a hill, it was the perfect choice for our first dance
on 13 August 2017
OK
on 11 May 2013
Brilliant to listen to when driving. Was a present for my husband he was really pleased and listens to it all the time.
#1 HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon 6 September 2014
For getting on for five decades now I have been firmly of the belief that Eric Clapton is a major deity, and seeing him in concert remains a highlight of my musical life, so I say this through clenched teeth and with great sadness: this album isn't very good. I thoroughly disliked it on first hearing, but I have made myself listen to it several more times to see whether I was missing something. It did get a bit better on repeated listening, being salvaged to an extent by some of Eric's guitar work (of course it is) but overall I think it's distressingly feeble.

The songs are largely covers and reworkings of standards. Now, Clapton has often been able to bring something exceptional to older, sometimes very familiar songs; the blues material goes without saying, but Swing Low Sweet Chariot, Cocaine and the stunning live version of Can't Find My Way Home on E.C Was Here, just to take three random examples, show the brilliance he is capable of in a wide variety of styles. Here, there is (to me, anyway) a slick but slightly empty, cocktail lounge feel to songs like The Folks Who Live On the Hill and Goodnight Irene and I can find very little real heart or genuine emotional content anywhere.

Every Little Thing rather typifies the album for me. It begins very well with a solid riff from the band and some really good vocals from Eric, but it stumbles between styles, doesn't really go anywhere and ends up with - get this - a choir of very young, lisping, slightly-out-of-tune children singing "Every little thing you do is beautiful..." It's twee, sickly, manipulative and musically vacuous - and it's on an Eric Clapton album, for heavens' sake! The whole album seems to me to have an insincere, corporate gloss over it which is a world away from the depth and passion of Eric's best work. Even the reggae arrangements which he has done so brilliantly in the past sound pretty middle-of-the-road and lack any real bite.

Of course there are some fine solos from Eric, including some great bottleneck work, and he still has that incomparable touch and the ability to improvise a miniature work of genius. The trouble is, it's all but swamped by its desperately disappointing context. There is a stellar cast of guests here, but even JJ Cale, another of my greatest heroes, can't really lift Angel much above the ordinary, and I leave you to make up your own mind about what the presence of Paul McCartney might imply for the style of the music.

I am genuinely very sad to have to say this about an album by a man whose work I have so admired and who has meant so much to me for so long. I have given it three stars because of the guitar work and partly, to be honest, because I couldn't bring myself to give EC any less, but I can't really recommend it.
#1 HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon 20 August 2014

on 17 April 2013
I have many Eric Clapton albums, from his early Yardbird days, Cream, collaborations with Buddy Guy, etc. This album hasn't quite done it for me. There's nothing wrong with it, the songs are well chosen, there's variety of styles, the musicianship is beyond question. It's just...well...another album. There's nothing on it that makes you think, wow, that was a brilliant track, or another great guitar solo!
There are plenty of people who will love this album, and judging by some of the reviews it's been getting, there are. It's not going to be the first E.C. album I'll be reaching for; not when 'Riding With The King', 'Me And Mr Johnson' and the like are sitting on the shelf very near by.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 March 2013
'Old sock' (terrible title, comfortable as an old sock?!?) carries on from where his previous record 'Clapton' left off being a mixture of old standards, blues, more modern rock songs etc - only this is even more of a dog's breakfast - as though Eric has said "I'm going to record exactly what I want regardless of what it all sounds like..." To be fair much of it does sound very good and there is certainly plenty of variety here, from the lovely lilting version of Taj Mahal's "Further on down the road" which opens the album, to the mush of "The folks who live on the hill" to the great old timey version of Leadbelly's "Irene goodnight" and the reggae lite of the original song "Every little thing".

The basic line up is his road band including Steve Gadd, Willie Weeks, Doyle Bramhall II and Chris Stainton with the addition of coach loads of session men (including Greg Leisz, Walt Richmond, Jim Keltner and Gabe Witcher) as well as famous faces including Sir Paul Macca, Steve Winwood, Taj Mahal and JJ Cale. Eric is in good voice throughout and the album's other original track "Gotta get over" also features female backing singers like a throw back to his 70s albums. When I last saw him on tour he featured a version of Gary Moore's "Still got the blues for you" as a tribute to the recently deceased guitarist and that same version, mainly played on acoustic guitar, also appears here. Eric revisits his country side with a relaxed reading of Ray Charles' "Born to Lose" and also covers the jazz standard "All of me". I'm afraid that overall I found the album a bit too diverse with a bit too much 'mush', although there is also a lot here to like and my favourite track was probably "Further on down the road" which also contains the albums best guitar solo in its final coda. Three and a half stars.
on 11 July 2014
What is he doing. I have followed Eric since The Yardbirds but this is just rubbish. Since Reptile which I liked, his albums have been terrible, but I bought ,everyone and they gather dust or have gone to Magpie. I saw him in 2011 and was disappointed, he seemed too laid back and perhaps lazy. Perhaps if this album is all he can produce for his followers then hel should give up on the albums and just do concerts of his true music. This like Clapton and Going Home maybe Clapton now but none are what I want .