on 11 March 2017
Not enough ways to describe how wonderful this book is. So, so many writing prompts and ideas. Perfect for all writers, whether starting out or the more seasoned. Also love Natalie Goldberg's writing approach, very engaging. Highly recommend.
on 22 May 2013
Thisis a fantastic for all would be writers. By getting you writing every day it really helps the crearive flow, and helps dig up mermories ,long forgotten. Natalie is a genius.
on 22 May 2013
I just love her books about creative writing This one is useful for anyone who is thinking about writing their life history
Natalie Goldberg is my favourite writing guru. She has so much wisdom and the benefit of years of writing experience to share. This book surpassed my expectations, it has personal insights from Natalie, writing exercises and lots in there to inspire you to write your memoir. I had reached a dead end with mine but reading Old Friend from Far Away has given me a fresh perspective on the art of memoir and I am enjoying writing again
on 28 February 2013
I fell in love with Natalie Goldberg for her books on writing. [she doesn't know it. She doesn't also know that she is my writing guru I've yet to meet]. What can I say about Natalie Goldberg that the writing world hasn't said yet about her simple teaching techniques! Those who have read her books on writing, especially Writing Down The Bones and Old Friend from Far Away would nod their heads in appreciation. And if you haven't read her books on writing, this novice writer from Greater London, can safely recommend you to get hold of these two books that will surely enhance your writing ability. I can only say that Natalie Goldberg is responsible for my own Memoir I'm about to complete. Best wishes to you, the reader.

Arun Debnath
on 20 September 2014
A must for anyone who wants to write their memoir, or just for their own journal writing. A wonderful books once again written by the wonderful Natalie Goldberg.
on 9 March 2015
This book was required literature for a course in writing, and I used it extensively for that course. The more I used it, the more it irritated me. It does not do what it promises, i.e. 'teach you to write a memoir'. Quite the contrary: apart from many almost blank pages, just containing subjects to write about (called 'prompts' in the jargon) and saying: '10 minutes. Go!' almost ad nauseam - there is nothing. No theory, no tips, no real exercise material one can check to improve. There are many books on this subject which are much better and really help. This particular book is a waste of money for buying it and time for reading - but the frustration and irritation its use engenders are even worse.
on 29 August 2009
Natalie Goldberg rocks! This book gives everyone a way in to writing about their lives. Many of the excercises take just ten minutes, and surely we can all find THAT much time!
on 26 February 2010
Excellent advice for anyone wanting to write a memoir or for those who feel their creative juices have dried up. Just a few key words from this author will kick start the memories.
on 12 February 2015
lovely book exercises on every page and advicse on creativity itself doubts, patience, persistence, perseverance
I whole heartedly recommened this book alongside writing down the bones by the same author
book ideal for beginners and advanced