Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Fitbit

Office 2010 Home and Student - question regarding 3 users

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Oct 2011, 14:35:13 BST
P. Rhodes says:
Hi there,

I have purchased this and installed it on my laptop and I think it is great. Could someone advise me whether I am allowed to send the disc to my parents to install on their PC also? It says it is OK for 3 users, but I'm not sure if this means that I can install to three computers in my own house.

I guess my question is:

a) is it physically possible?
b) is it legal?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on 26 Oct 2011, 00:24:51 BST
Last edited by the author on 21 Feb 2012, 19:16:03 GMT
Charlie-CJ says:
Technically [and legally] its for use in your household only and even going out with your laptop to a mates breaks the licence agreement [assuming you're using it as 'Home', not as a 'Student'] and once installed on a PC transferring to even a different partition in that PC, let alone another PC, can cause problems [although Microsoft will apparently allow a fair bit of leeway once you ring in with the re-install problem, say after a hardware upgrade or if your PC conks out].

That said the Microsoft thought police aren't likely to take exception to you installing one licence on your parents home PC, as it's using the home licence at work or pirating that they will object to. After all you can sell your home PC with the Office program installed, so a licence at the parents is not much different. I've never actually tried it with Office 2010 though [was fine with Office 2003], as we all have educational Office 2010 Professional Plus single licences [that cover my schoolkids and my wife and I who work at universities - see my other disussion here].

I would think it can install OK at different domestic locations, although the Office activation includes the Internet protocol address of the device so it may not [you could just try it, as you can almost certainly recover the licence to activate at your home if it fails]. You can move a licence from one PC to another once every 90 days in any case and your laptop will easily install at your parents house anyway.

Office 2010 Home and Student will definately install on three seperate PCs about the same home though, and it's happy on PCs or laptop PCs [the latter is technically illegal under the 'home' terms but the software can't distinguish the PC type anyway]. The Office install dials home to Microsoft and counts the licence activations down, one at a time - if you have no internet access, a phone number activation route is offered where the activation code is given verbally over the phone. You would register all three licences with your home address details. This all applies to the '3 users' Office 2010 box offered here, there's a variety of DVD boxed or licence-only deals from microscoft. Sorry I can't be specific about your parents PC, but hopefully this is of some help.

The key bit in the Home and Student is "Licensed for installation on up to three home PCs" and "Not for use in any commercial, nonprofit or revenue generating business activities, or by any government organisation" - so you can't help run a small business from home with 'Office Home and Student' or technically work from home under the licence terms. The '1 household' is far less prominant on Microsoft's Home & Student webpages. Unlike Office 2007, the full Home & Student 2010 licence requirements aren't really pushed on Microsofts Offce website, just the previous two statements.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2011, 15:52:34 GMT
SJ Bailey says:
Hello Mr Joseph (I hope I'm not addressing Margaret Thatcher's former Education Secretary)

I'm not terribly computer literate so I'd be much obliged if you gave me the idiot's guide treatment if you choose to reply to this post! I've just bought the Lenovo C205 series PC. It comes with Windows 7 Home Premium, which I think doesn't include any 'Office' software to upgrade (I'm waiting for my brother to come back from a Christmas break to set it up for me). So I'm confused as to which version of Office 2010 to buy. All the reviews go on about 'upgrades' - and I don't want to upgrade, because I don't think there's any 'office' software to upgrade. Also, the 'product key' business confuses me - I see what you mean about not using it outside your home or for home business purposes (I just want to practise the new 'Office 2010' version, as I'm used to the 2003 version, which I guess is obsolete now), but should I buy the 1 user or 3 user key? The PC is going to be housed at my sister's house where I can practise (it's complicated) - so technically it's not my home. Can I register the product in her name, even though I bought it myself? Sorry to be so convoluted, but I'd really appreciate a reply. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Feb 2012, 19:05:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Feb 2012, 22:06:16 GMT
Charlie-CJ says:
Hi SJ - sorry I forgot to track this discussion and just noticed your query. I expect you have have the Office software by now, but here goes.

As it's for home use and you aren't using it for any 'business' purposes you do technically only need one Home and Student licence, although the three licence Home and student version isn't much more expensive, has the install DVD, and it gives you a usefull opportunity to add Office 2010 to another two PC/Laptop/netbooks later. All Home and Student 3 licence install DVDs are the complete program and not an upgrade. So you don't need an older version of office on the PC, although the Home and Student install will replace an older Office version if it is found on the PC [you can ask specifically for it to leave the old version on as well under 'custom' when installing, but having say old Office 2003 Word and new Office 2010 Word on the same PC can be confusing].

If it's 'your' Office 2010 you could register Home and Student Office in your name and address or your sisters. It might be a lot easier if you used your name/address in case you have to activate the licence again in your home [ie. use up another of the two remaining licences, assuming you have the 3 licence version]. But it terms of whether it will run, it will make no difference who it is registered with. Technically all three licences should be installed on PCs within one 'household', but the install doesn't distinguish between PCs and say a netbook/laptop.

Registration largely involves linking the PC hardware to the software, so that the install disk can tell if you are reinstalling Office 2010 on the same PC [allowed] or onto a different PC [not allowed]. Once installed you have lost one licence is bound to that PC. Rumour has it that Microsoft will often allow you to uninstall Office 2010 on one PC and transfer that licence to another PC, say if the old one's being scrapped, but the licence terms actually forbids it, so you have to sort all that out via the phone to Microsoft registration support [the number to dial generally comes up when installing]. I believe you can also move Office 2010 from one PC to another 'once every 90 days' anyway. I've never tried it. It's easier to use another of the three Home and Student licences for the next PC, provided you bought the 3 licence version.

PS. the 'single user licence' is apparently for activating a pre-installed Office 2010 trial on a new PC, so you would have to download the Office Home and Student 2010 trial from microsoft to get the install on an old PC. I'd recommend the 3 licence version, it's easier to install as it has the install DVd and licence code, and it's far cheaper per licence. The single licence version should be a bit cheaper, for obvious reasons, but on Amazon the discounted prices are very similar.

-------------------------
Hi SJ, thanks for the reply. Sounds like Office 2010 Starter - as you say, a pared down Office that is 'paid for' by advertisements apparently [it offers basic Word and Excell but no Powerpoint]. It only comes pre-installed on new PCs, and it's easy to upgrade with Office Home and Student. Good luck.

Posted on 26 Feb 2012, 17:38:49 GMT
SJ Bailey says:
Thanks very much for your reply. Apparently, I do have a pared down version of Microsoft Office 2010 on my computer (I didn't even notice it) and I didn't even notice that the '3 license Home and Student' package included a DVD. I did buy the 3 license thingy and I'm going to have a crack at installing it in a bit - after having watched the DVD. I hate computers. And I think that Microsoft should only be allowed to upgrade their software once every 20 years. Thanks again.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  19 Oct 2011
Latest post:  26 Feb 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

This discussion is about
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 (3 Users, PC)
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 (3 Users, PC) by Microsoft Software (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
4.2 out of 5 stars (762)