- Actors: Judge Reinhold, Meg Tilly, Cleavant Derricks, Joe Mantegna, Jacques d'Amboise
- Directors: Michael Dinner
- Writers: Dezsö Magyar, Mark Medoff
- Producers: Harry J. Ufland, Joe Roth
- Format: PAL
- Language: English
- Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish, Dutch
- Dubbed: Spanish
- Region: Region 2 (This DVD may not be viewable outside Europe. Read more about DVD formats.)
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3 - 1.33:1
- Number of discs: 1
- Studio: Walt Disney Studios HE
- DVD Release Date: 20 April 2004
- Run Time: 92 minutes
- Average Customer Review: 4 customer reviews
- ASIN: B0001MIQF8
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 115,594 in DVD & Blu-ray (See Top 100 in DVD & Blu-ray)
|Additional DVD options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
(Apr 20, 2004)
Customers who bought this item also bought
Joe Gower is a librarian's assistant. But when a police officer and friend of his is chosen to participate in a charity dance performance, Gower agrees to take his place in the show by posing as a police officer. But he falls for a female officer in the show and soon gets into various scrapes with fellow cops and crooks.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I like Jugde Reinhold and this movie is right up his alley, playing a somewhat shy and clumsy character with enough edge to make for a good leading man. The chemistry between him and Meg Tilly also works quite nicely.
What I found most appealing about this movie was its concept, a shy librarian does his police-officer friend an innocent favor, but then "sort of by accident" stumbles into the actual beat-cop life, after he falls in love with one of the female officers he has to work with and then decides to pursue his love-interest ...
The humor is modest most of the times, but makes for plenty funny moments during the movie and manages to stay witty throughout. Off-Beat manages to keep the viewer curious with its charming love-story and the movie flows in a non-remarkable yet very entertaining way.
I've given this movie 4 stars, because I hate it when low-key (yet charming) romantic comedies (with heart) always get the standard 2 star reviews that usually point out how generic it is. Off beat is nothing like that, the story is funny, the actors make the material work just fine and although there are some typical 80-ties screw-ball-comedy moments in here, nothing feels really contrived, which cannot be said for a lot of other movies in this genre.
If you enjoy light romantic comedies that don't steer too far out of the well known boundaries, but are willing to seek originality, you'll be likely to have a fun evening with Off-Beat.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com