- Hardcover: 608 pages
- Publisher: CENGAGE Learning Custom Publishing; 8th Revised edition edition (31 July 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1111990840
- ISBN-13: 978-1111990848
- Product Dimensions: 2.5 x 23.5 x 28.6 cm
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 5,939,862 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
Oceanography: An Invitation to Marine Science Hardcover – 31 Jul 2012
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
1. Origins. 2. History. 3. Earth Structure and Plate Tectonics. 4. Ocean Basins. 5. Sediments. 6. Water and Ocean Structure. 7. Ocean Chemistry. 8. Circulation of the Atmosphere. 9. Circulation of the Ocean. 10. Waves. 11. Tides. 12. Coasts. 13. Life in the Ocean. 14. Plankton, Algae, and Plants. 15. Marine Animals. 16. Marine Communities. 17. Marine Resources. 18. Environmental Concerns. Afterword. Appendix I: Measurements and Conversions. Appendix II: Geological Time. Appendix III: Absolute and Relative Dating. Appendix IV: Latitude and Longitude, Time, and Navigation. Appendix V: Maps and Charts. Appendix VI: The Beaufort Scale. Appendix VII: Calculating the Tide Generating Force. Appendix VIII: Taxonomic Classification of Marine Organisms. Appendix IX: Periodic Table of the Elements. Appendix X: Working in Marine Science. Glossary. Credits. Index. --This text refers to the Loose Leaf edition.
About the Author
Tom Garrison (Ph.D., University of Southern California) was an inspiring professor of Marine Science for over 47 years at Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa, California -- one of the largest undergraduate marine science departments in the United States. Dr. Garrison also held an adjunct professorship at the University of Southern California and won multiple teaching and education awards during his career. He was a founding member of the Consortium for Ocean Science Exploration and Engagement, wrote a regular column for the journal Oceanography, and enjoyed writing for National Geographic magazine. Dr. Garrison was an Emmy Award team participant as writer and science advisor for the PBS syndicated Oceanus television series, and writer and science advisor for The Endless Voyage -- a set of television programs in oceanography. His widely used textbooks in oceanography and marine science are the college market's best sellers, and 42 years of teaching allowed him to pass his oceanic enthusiasm to more than 65,000 students in his career.
Top Customer Reviews
Inevitably in a book of this kind some topics are not treated in depth - notably marine biology and environmental issues: readers particularly interested in these may want to supplement the book with others more focused on those subjects. And there are one or two places where I felt the discussion could have benefited from more thorough updating. But as an overview of the whole field this book is superb, and will whet your appetite to explore further.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Just didn't care for the previous renters highlighting.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Education > Higher Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geography > Physical
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Oceanography
- Books > Science & Nature > Nature > Education
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Earth Sciences