- Save 10% on selected children’s books, compliments of Amazon Family Promotion exclusive for Prime members .
Ocean Hardcover – 5 Oct 2006
Special offers and product promotions
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Every page is a treat... (Dive Magazine ) --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Top customer reviews
It is split into 4 main sections, each of which are further divided into topics -
- Ocean Water (Includes info on properties of water)
- Ocean Geology (Origin of and evolution of the earth and the oceans)
- Circulation and Climate (Info on winds, currents, climate etc)
- Tides and Waves (Ocean waves and tides)
- Coasts and the seashore (formation of coasts, processes involved)
- Shallow Seas (features of rocky sea beds, kelp forests, coral reefs)
- The Open ocean and Ocean floor (features of the ocean, zones, geology, human exploration etc)
- The Polar Oceans (structure of ice shelves, icebergs, water circulation)
- Introduction to the Ocean Life (classification, history, zones of ocean life)
- Kingdoms of Ocean Life (examples of ocean life from bacteria to fish to mammals, photos and details on specific species)
ATLAS OF THE OCEANS (detailed maps of the five oceans that seperate the major landmasses of the world, additional photos of other features of that area)
- Oceans of the World
- The Arctic Ocean
- The Atlantic Ocean
- The Indian Ocean
- The Pacific Ocean
- The Southern Ocean
Each chapter is really easy to read. It is detailed yet broken up into small sections so it can easily be picked up and read at any point. I think that anyone who has an interest in the ocean would love this book. There are so many different things to learn about the ocean and this book really is a good introduction for anyone who wants to learn more. The price is fantastic value for the quality and volume of the content and I would urge you to get yourself a copy!
The book is divided into various sections as follows a)introduction covering ocean water,geology,circulation and climate,and tides and waves b)the ocean environment dealing with coasts and seashores,shallow seas,the open ocean and sea floor and polar oceans. c)ocean life covering classification,bottom living,migration,and history plus 7 other matters,but the main part is devoted to ocean inhabitants both plants and animals including bacteria and protozoa d)the final section is an atlas of the oceans.
There is an excellent glossary
This book has the failings of all DK pictorial publications in that the best pictures cover two pages completely destroying the image.
Circulation and Climate
Tides and Waves
Coasts and the Seashore
The Open Ocean and Ocean Floor
The Polar Oceans
Introduction to Ocean Life
Kingdoms of Ocean Life
ATLAS OF THE OCEANS
Oceans of the World
The Arctic Ocean
The Atlantic Ocean
The Indian Ocean
The Pacific Ocean
The Southern Ocean
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
The pictures are incredible, this is definitely a reference book.