on 9 May 2014
I'm an EDM fan in general, I listen to dubstep, I like the occasional deep beat and grinding bass. Why would I listen to this? Simply, its one of the most lyrically and sonically inventive EDM and Pop albums you'll ever listen to.
I won't talk about Fireflies (which is what Adam Young is most associated with, its on this album), the songs here are as equally good and still have that catchy hook. The album has a brilliant opener (Cave In) which features Young's twisting take on EDM (the time changes are effective, and still leave an impression) and the tracks become more varied from there (The Saltwater Room, Vanilla Twilight and The bird and the worm aren't exactly EDM)
Its not hard to see why this is his most popular album.
My criticism of the album is that lyrically it can be twee (he's not an artist most people admit to listening to). Definitely filed under guilty pleasure. And those who don't like auto-tune, you won't like this either.
For those who like this, I can recommend the "Of June" EP (the first three tracks are simply mesmerising) and "All Things Bright and Beautiful"....
on 15 August 2013
Yeah ok, the lyrics are sappy, so what? They go with the music which projects Adam Young's feelings that he's always wanted to convey through music. He just goes into his head and produces this optimistic sound that no other artist has ventured into in quite the same way. "Fireflies" gave him commercial success but it's not a one song album that's for sure.

There's great piano, synth and guitar work to admire here along with nicely placed electronic effects. I won't go into to detail about the songs because I think that's a journey you've got to take yourself in your own way but I'll mark out my favourites and the ones I don't think are quite as good, but I'm just one fan out of many of course.

The bonus disc makes the difference here as I believe it has one of the best Owl City songs ever made; the "Hello Seattle" remix. Once you take the chords of that song, take out all of the weird auto tuned lyrics just leaving "Hello Seattle" and make it bouncy it's an amazing transformation. I'm not trying to put Adam's lyric writing down here because it can be very good, but on certain songs I find myself listening to the music above the lyrics. "Hot Air Balloon" is another nice tune and "Sunburn" makes it a nice top 3 of the bonus songs. Apart from that the other four songs aren't much to get excited about on the bonus disc.

As a physical album it's very nice - folds out with nice artwork like a "Deluxe Edition" should.

Overall? Well as Adam Young said about "All Things Bright and Beautiful", the follow-up to "Ocean Eyes", "It feels a lot more finished than the last one was". So I'd agree with that, this is a good album not to be taken too seriously but it feels a bit unfinished with a few loose ends shall we say.

Favourites:

Hello Seattle (Remix) - Bonus Disc
Cave In
On the Wing

Songs I skip over:

The Bird and the Worm
Hello Seattle
Those songs I mentioned on the bonus disc
on 2 April 2018
I bought this album because of the one track that was widely heard and with a great video to it; unfortunately the rest if the album was nowhere near as good as that one track. Truly a "one-hit" wonder for me.
on 7 April 2018
Good product.
on 25 March 2018
Great
on 22 January 2016
Guess you either love the voice or don't, I really liked Fireflies when it came out as a single so thought I'd get the album. Every song on the album is different but has a consistent feel, so if you liked Fireflies you won't be disappointed.
on 24 August 2016
Great Album. Feels very nostalgic because it reminds me of my childhood
on 5 April 2016
Great album. You'll love it just as much as me - just go for it!
on 25 July 2016
One of their best albums
on 18 February 2017