Object-Oriented Implementation of Numerical Methods: An Introduction with Java & Smalltalk: An Introduction with Java and Smalltalk (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Software Engineering and Programming) Hardcover – 6 Nov 2000
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Didier Bessett's Object-Oriented Implementation of Numerical Methods offers a wide-ranging set of objects for common numerical algorithms. Written for the math-literate Java and Smalltalk programmer, this volume demonstrates that both languages can be used to tackle common numerical calculations with ease.
This title bridges the gap between pure algorithms and object design. By tackling issues like class design, interfaces, and overcoming floating-point rounding errors in both Java and Smalltalk, the code can be used as is or as a model for your own custom numerical classes.
The range of recipes, or sample numerical classes, all coded in both OOPLs, is rich. For anyone who's taken a few undergraduate math courses (like calculus, linear algebra, or statistics), plenty of the material will be familiar. After presenting some basic algorithm and mathematical principles, the book shows you the code that gets the job done (first in Smalltalk and then in Java). There's no room for demo code that shows how to use all this. The emphasis is on a good cross-section of common numerical calculations. The tour begins with calculus and moves through linear algebra, with plenty of material on matrices. Later sections on statistics cover familiar terms and calculations like linear regression and calculations useful for establishing correlations between one or more independent variables. Sections on data mining examine the mathematical rules for finding patterns in large amounts of data. (There's also a nifty set of classes for implementing genetic algorithms.) Throughout, you get advice on choosing the right algorithm for the job. (There are class diagrams that map out how this class library is organised.)
Of course, it will help to know some of the underlying maths to get the most out of this intelligent and wide-ranging book, but the writing is remarkably clear, and the source code is a model of intelligibility, so even readers who are averse to equations will find Object-Oriented Implementation of Numerical Methods readable. In general, any competent Java or Smalltalk programmer will be able to tap into solid mathematical code by reading it, without having to reinvent the proverbial wheel. --Richard Dragan
"There are few books that show how to build programs of any kind. One common theme is compiler building, and there are shelves full of them. There are few others. It's an area, or a void, that needs filling. this book does a great job of showing how to build numerical analysis programs."
David N. Smith, IBM T J Watson Research Center
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The inclusion of very readable Smalltalk and Java source code is very useful.
For use in a course, I would like to see the material complemented by exercises.
Conclusion - The book is a gem in my personal development library.
p.s. I would encourage the prior reviewer to publish his own book on the subject - it would be very interesting to see how the methods can be improved
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computing & Internet > Digital Lifestyle > Online Shopping
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Graphics & Multimedia
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Introduction
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Introduction to Programming
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Languages
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Languages & Tools
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Design Patterns
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Functional Programming
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Software Architecture
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Software Engineering
- Books > Computing & Internet > Software & Graphics > Graphics & Multimedia > 3-D Graphics
- Books > Computing & Internet > Web Development > Web Design > Web Graphics & Animation
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Production, Manufacturing & Operational