• ORBS

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 17 January 2014
A story about saving some of the people of earth after the planet as been hit by a high energy storm from space.
The story revolves around moving people to Mars after first testing the living habitats constructed on Earth.
A group of scientist are entombed in a pod supposedly for experimental trials before going to Mars.
Soon after entering every thing goes wrong and the story unfolds about survival
and comes with a surprising ending.

Thoroughly enjoyed the story and the twist came as a big surprise.
on 30 April 2016
Having read the extinction series , thought I would try the ORBS series , I was not disappointed , although a different genre the first book had me hooked , the mix of characters blend nicely , I also liked the various twists and turn of the plot and can not wait to read the rest of the series , thank you Nicolas Sainsbury-Smith
on 2 January 2016
I've waited a while to read this book. I wish I'd read it sooner. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved the characters in it,the chase and action sequences were exciting and the overall storytelling was first rate as usual. I expect nothing less from the author. I can't wait to read the second book. Give it a read if your into end of the world books.
on 8 November 2013
"Orbs" by Nicholas Sansbury is quite simply one of the best books that I have read this year, and as someone who reads hundreds of Sci/fantasy books a year I can honestly say that this one stands out. It is the year 2061 and a team of independent scientist led by Dr Sophie Winston enter a biosphere (a closed environment) to enter into an experiment to study technologies designed to facilitate a manned mission to mars. However, it's not long before all contact with the outside world is lost, and the world has somehow become filled with mysterious orbs of a non-terrestrial nature......

Within the story the characters are excellent with each one having a unique voice and personality that can be felt as the story progresses, I found myself feeling for the characters and experiencing both the highs and the lows that they go through as the story progresses. The author also succeeds in creating a very detailed and believable world to set the story in.

I can honestly say that I haven't enjoyed a book so much in years, and I am eagerly looking forward to the second installment to see whether the mysteries at the end of the book are unraveled! Nicholas Smith is clearly a rising star in the world of sci-fi!!!
on 2 January 2014
The dynamics between Sophie (eminent scientist) and the pilot assigned to transport her to a biosphere facility hooked me into this story. Sadly, the pilot moved on and new characters moved in, and I was unimpressed by Sophie's "boss" as his introduction of the Biosphere facility left much to be desired, but there were reasons for this that were divulged later.

What kept me hooked (and compels me to give five stars) is that ORBS proved scary. This story plays on the fragility of Earth's ecosystem and mankind's resilience to alien invasion. The alien monsters are described with bloodcurdling realism.

There was interesting character development, even for the AI on the biosphere team. I went from liking Sophie to being unsure about her before warming to her again. I enjoyed the military characters. Overton's perception of kids as ankle biters fitted him well. Timothy? I wanted to understand him, but the value he should have offered the team eluded me. Each character responded differently to the stresses they were under and by the end a new team dynamic was emerging.

The inclusion of material from Solar Storms (the prequel) could have been a little smoother, but overall the story developed at a fast pace to reach a satisfying end with plenty of nail-biting moments that left me ready to devour the next story. This promises to develop into an exciting series.
on 17 February 2014
Good story following a group of holocaust survivors fighting multitudes of alien BEM's hellbent on exterminating mankind. Plenty of action with the assistance of a small platoon of commandos who "just happened" to be in the vacinity. Well worth a read. This book ends with many questions unanswered but hopefully this is cleared up in the next story. I liked it and can't wait to read the sequel.
on 25 November 2013
I found this book after a Reddit post and seen that Amazon had the e-book copy for only 77p.

I have generally avoided buying e-books from Amazon due to the stupid pricing structure which seems to think e-books should be the same price as paperback but I would have happily paid more for this book.

Now to the book it has a great pace and was so easy to get into. I had just finished the Wheel of Time series and after reading 14 books from the same author it can be hard to click with someone else's style of writing, this book though took me in right away.

I won't give anything away but I am so looking forward to book 2.

If this ever comes out in Hard back I will happily buy it.
on 14 November 2013
Just finished this book and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. It passed my "stay up past my bedtime and be drowsy in work the next day test..." It was worth it.

Not going to talk about the story, plenty will do that but the characters are good, the story fast moving but some may have to persevere past the first hundred pages that set the scene. It is well worth the build up. Good open ending leaving me wanting the second book, great job Nick!

How I review...
1 star - binned it before half way, please don't write anymore!!!
2 stars - finally binned it after really trying, I mean really trying and I hate to not finishing someth....
3 stars - finished it but boy was that hard work on times, it just about hooked me back in as I was about to dump it
4 stars - great book but it lacked something, something, can't put my finger on it but.... something
5 stars - want more, more books, more movies about the books, more movies about the authors and the making of the movie, just more!!!

For poor books remember what Yoda said - "If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play!"
on 28 June 2014
I shouldn't have enjoyed this as it is a bit of a too well worn a story, but actually I did.

I do like a bit of cheese on my sci fi from time to time and this had loads. Nothing to taxing, no new ideas...but a good romp.
on 9 December 2013
This is the 1st book i have read by this author but will not be the last.
I loved the book i felt for the characters and the story flowed like water very easy to follow and extremely hard to put down.

roll on book 2