Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 August 2016
As a mature student doing a BSc I have no idea how in keeping this book is with the A2 programme. What I can say with almost absolute certainty is that it got me a 2.1 in my first year chemistry modules (of a biomed degree).

Of course it didn't do that alone but as a mature student who hadn't done chemistry since GCSE over 10 years ago a lot of the concepts we discussed in class went right over my head. I kind of was trying to gain knowledge I had no foundation for.

I bought this study guide and the main A2 text book to try and gain that foundation and found this infinitely better for my purposes. It nearly summarised the concepts so I could easily pinpoint where I was going wrong. Once I had this a lot just started to fall into place that I'd spent hours trying to figure out beforehand. I went from feeling like I was going to fail chemistry as a module to getting a 2.1 for it and a first for my first year overall.

Obviously it doesn't have the info required to be useful in a degree except for that foundation of knowledge but for me that was all I needed for everything else to fall in place. In terms of a level I would think as long as the curriculum is accurate it would be an incredibly useful learning aid.

I've included a picture of the contents in case anyone needs to see what it covers.
review image
on 20 June 2011
Anyone taking the OCR Chemistry course will know that the textbook is full of information which may be interesting, but completely useless for revision, such as biographies of scientists and numerous 'stretch and challenge' areas. What this book does is create a perfect concise book which strips down the syllabus into key concepts and information. At the same time however, it doesn't miss out any important areas, so you can rest easy knowing that you won't be skipping out content; in fact, there is little need to use the textbook anymore, with its detailed examples and plenty of practice questions.

While the OCR Biology revision guide is a bit more dubious, this book is a must for anyone doing this course.
on 2 November 2013
I bought this book to revise from before the A2 chemistry exams but I did not find it much useful at all, I had to buy another A2 chemistry OCR book. For me this book together with the biology version were a waste of money. If you need an excellent book for revision 'A2 level Chemistry for OCR: student BOOK June 2012 - By Richard Parsons' is the one to go for.
on 30 January 2011
I am taking the exam tomorrow, and this book is a lifesaver as it condenses down a few hundred pages into 30 or so. Obviously you cannot learn the entire course from this, but if you know most of the content and just need to brush up and go "ahh yes I remember that" then this is what you need. The style of the book is very clean and simple to read and split into the two different modules.
on 14 September 2013
I always wonder why don't us students get taught from a revision guide instead of the normal textbook. Sure you miss out on colour sometimes but it would save me buying a revision guide (assuming the school would provide one like mine does with the textbook) would buy again if necessary.
on 2 January 2012
I had difficulty using the textbook because I found it hard to understand concepts, and felt they were explained in too much detail, which meant everything seemed far more complex than it had to.
Since getting this book, much of what I didn't understand I now do. The information is condensed into what you ACTUALLY NEED TO KNOW, as well, which makes it a really good revision tool.
I found that the black and white - instead of coloured - pages, meant that I could make coloured notes to further aid my revision.
So glad I've got this.
on 28 September 2012
This book is really good, I got into review my notes throughout the year and I will be using it do make revision cards from ready for exams too. It's concise but still detailed and the black and white pages are great for highlighting and adding annotations to. Really great book, cheap too!
on 3 February 2013
It contains concise summaries of all the topics and more practice questions than are in the textbook. Perfect for finding out exactly what you need to know for the exam without all the extra information in the textbook.
on 26 March 2013
Excellent notes, great revision book. This should help to get maximum on A2 exam. I failed coursework, therefore need to do well in major papers
on 17 November 2013
i am in second year as and this is a great buy for a revision guide - has helped me to get more info and get things clearer