on 21 May 2009
I choose this book as the main AS Psychology textbook for my class primarily because Heinemann were the partner publisher with OCR and I'd just shifted specification. As such, I assumed that the publishers would have insider knowledge and that this text would set the benchmark for what students would need to know. However, whereas it seems well designed, the CD is of some use and all the basics are there, my students have found it poorly written and often extremely confusing. It is also poorly edited and contains numerous errors and inaccuracies (perhaps in an attempt to simplify studies?). For example, a study is described as an experiment, when at best only secondary aspects of it would fit the criteria. Far better to acknowledge that research is dynamic and rarely fits definable categories. I shall not be reusing this book with future classes and will not purchase their A2 text as a consequence. The Hodder AS text, on report from students, seems a far more reliable book.
on 21 June 2009
I am a student who has being using this book all year, and although at first glance the colourful design and easy to follow explanations will draw you in, you soon realise this is a very clever disguise. All of the relevant information is not in one place, which makes for very longwinded note taking. DO NOT USE THIS BOOK!
on 29 May 2011
The reason I had to go look for a psychology book in the first place was because my teacher is one of the worst teachers I have ever had the misfortune to have. After purchasing this book, I went into class and what did I see, but the EXACT same book lying on her desk. Upon reading it through when I got home, it seems she has been teaching the whole class directly from this book and this book alone.
What am I trying to say from all this? It's a decent book but the most you'll get from this is a C and that's if you really go hardcore and revise every word. There are parts that it doesn't explain in detail or it'll mention something new but expects you to already know it so it doesn't define it for you.
But what more can you expect from OCR really? -.-
For those thinking about taking psychology...make sure it's AQA. Seriously.
44 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 August 2013
Yet again OCR publishes a book wehich fails to give you all the information you need to get even a passing grade in its test. I myself had to read and research four other books and online to get all the information I needed. So if you're doing OCR psychology I suggest you buy an AQA psychology book or something that is in more detail.
on 24 March 2011
I used this book for two years, AS and A2. This book likes to drag things out and ask you question without giving you answers. I did get a B using this book, as it does make you make you write your own summaries from it, and have to look futher into it, but it is NOT user friendly really, and not concise at all. If you spend time with it your get the result, but its hard to be a dosser and get far with this book.

I mean if you looking at this chances are you have to get it for your course, so unlucky!

If your looking for an introduction to psychology and not studying right now, don't get this book.
on 18 August 2014
the book was dispatched quickly and relevant to my psychology A level, however unhappy with rude drawing on one of the pages, would not have bought this had I known as when I am finished would have re sold it, will be unable to now
on 13 July 2013
Even though I received the wrong book at first, I finally mange to receive this one. Worth the money especially if you are doing the course or just interested in Psychology.
on 28 April 2013
Have been on Access Course and this was great in class and essays. Really good book that is easy to understand and gives plenty of examples. Lovely copy - recommend.
on 16 May 2014
Really good accompaniment to the OCR As Psychology course. Good textbook to be used by both teachers and students, as follows the OCR spec.
on 27 October 2010
Set out well, easy to read. Could do with a 'key points' section at the end of chapters, otherwise a useful learning aid