on 13 June 2011
This year I have taken the whole Religious Studies A-Level as a private candidate, just studying on my own. I can honestly say this book was a lifesaver. Although it doesn't always focus on the specification and it can be a bit wordy, in terms of content it's comprehensive and useful. However, for those not already versed in philosophical enquiry, I would recommend the Ahluwalia textbook as more accessible.
on 2 August 2010
As a student, I wade through many textbooks of all shapes and sizes, and I have to say that this is by far my favourite. It introduces all the main topics in detail, which whilst not covering everything in as much details at it could have done (although this would mean an absolutely massive book because of the sheer volume of philosophy), does so in a succinct and clear manner. At the end of each chapter there is a summery of what you need to know as a basic guideline, which helps you extract the key points from each topic. This is actually very useful if you struggle with some areas (Aquinas' third way for me!) Another great thing about this textbook is the margins, which are filled in with short definitions, biographies and the like. There is also a timeline at the beginning for the philosophers mentioned in the book.

If you are studying philosophy at A level, or intend to teach the OCR specification, then this book (and its ethical equivalent) will stand you in good stead.
on 2 July 2008
As a teacher and A2 examiner for this subject I can recommend this book. It covers all of the topics in good depth and is accurate and clear. A sound investment to help you achieve success at both AS and A2!
on 6 December 2010
Reflecting the author's expertise, some parts of this are very good, some are repetitive and imprecise. The section on the Judaeo-Christian concept of God is very wordy and lacking substance. The section on the moral argument drove us back to a previous ocr text book - but the way it sets out the course requirements and the help with exam essay structure is most useful.
on 3 August 2009
This book is set out in a way that is attractive to students, with interesting thought points and helpful exam tips. The information contained within it is at best sketchy, at worst totally inaccurate. As a graduate in Philosophy of Religion and checking my thoughts against further reading, I found several important mistakes. Simplification can take place without losing the truth of a view set out by a philosopher, but this has not been achieved in this book. However, it is OCR endorsed and therefore if students regurgitate it they will attain good marks.
on 23 June 2014
This book helped me through my philosophy A Level, it really does have everything you need to know so I'd recommend it to anyone doing the philosophy/philosophy and ethics course. Its ethics counterpart is equally helpful.
on 27 May 2012
After falling in love with my Kindle last month it is a shame that I am now having problems with my latest Kindle book. I recently downloaded OCR Philosophy of Religion for AS and A2, Second Edition [Kindle Edition], and have found that there are incomplete sentences and entire paragraphs that are repeated. This book has otherwise been a great support to my studies, but I'm not happy after having paid £15 for it (on a student budget!)
on 11 October 2011
Iv just started the first year of my A-levels and having this book for Philosophy is fantastic!! its very clear, tells you exactly what you need to know, has easy to understand definitions, gives a mini fact-file for any philosophers, suggests reference books and websites to look at in order to develop further reading, tells you how to structure exam answers, and gives you a range of different exam questions to try.

It is great!
on 5 September 2007
This is the best AS/A2 book available at present. It is easy to read and understand and has really good exam tips for students. It covers all topics for AS/A2, whereas other books often have some topics and not others. I would definatly recommend this!
on 3 December 2013
This book relates to the Pre 2009 spec but is very useful when teaching the new OCR Philosophy and Ethics Spec. It has more detail than the current book so this book can help you develop subject knowledge further as a private study tool.