Customer reviews

on 29 December 2011
I'm training for a JAR FCL private pilot licence in the UK and am revising for and sitting the theoretical CAA PPL exams using the Trevor Thom series of books. As I'm doing this on an entirely recreational basis, I am doing this in addition to my demanding day job, so I have no wish to be doing re-sits, I've been very diligent about reading through books and working the chapter-end questions to confirm knowledge. The Thom books are fairly good for this.

Before

However as I was to discover at my first exam sitting - Air Law and Operational Procedures - those chapter-end questions did not prepare me suffiently. I passed the exam but just barely. First, they were too detailed on specific concepts, testing you on specific knowledge, terms, and concepts. But you end up missing the big picture knowledge needed for passing the exams and real flying.

Second, and this is equally frustrating, the chapter-end questions don't prepare you for the exams themselves. The exams are multiple choice which can be deceptive. To make things harder, they use the "best-answer" principle whereby the options sometimes comprise of more than one correct answer, whereby one that is "more correct" than the other. For example, This piece of writing is: (a) an article for a magazine; (b) a product review; (c) a passage of a novel; (d) a product review for Amazon. Correct answer is (d).

After

After that first exam, I looked around for some revision aids that would better prepare me, and I found this "Exam Prep CD" to be the answer. It offers a bank of practice exam questions for each module, which I used in addition to the Thoms' chapter-end questions. The practice exams are really useful, simulating as much as possible the types of scenarios you're likely to encounter. I then sat my second exam - Meteorology - and got a 95%: only one mistake. So I can say that this product worked for me.