Nutritional Aspects of Bone Health: RSC Hardcover – 17 Sep 2003
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
I would strongly recommend this book as an essential 'key text' in the libraries of all universities involved in the teaching of nutrition.
From the Back Cover
Nutritional Aspects of Bone Health provides an in-depth review of the role of diet in the development and maintenance of bone health throughout the lifecycle, and prevention of osteoporosis in later life. The book is multi-authored by the world's leading researchers in this area, who have come together to formulate the first ever textbook on nutritional aspects of bone health, and includes the current and cutting edge science underpinning the prevention of bone disease. The book is structured such that, in the first section, an overview is provided on what is meant by the terms bone health and osteoporosis and includes key areas such as epidemiology, genetics and the impact of non-nutritional exogenous factors influencing the skeleton. The second section details the established nutritional factors affecting bone health, namely calcium and vitamin D. Section three focuses on the role of macronutrients and macrominerals in bone health, namely protein, phosphorus, sodium and potassium, including the criticality of acid-base homeostasis to skeletal integrity. Section four addresses the effects of microminerals, trace elements, vitamin K, vitamin A and isoflavones on bone. Section five focuses attention on key issues connected with the influence of diet and anorexia and bulimia on bone health including nutrition and bone growth; nutrient: gene interactions; nutrient: drug interactions; and the final section discusses the effect of diet on reduction of fracture risk; the cost-effectiveness of nutritional supplements; and nutritional strategies for prevention and treatment of osteoporosis. The book is targeted at a number of key audiences. Whilst there is a focus on the academic research world and those principally involved in education, at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels, the book will also be of considerable interest to those participating in the treatment and prevention of osteoporosis, namely those working in the medical and health promotion fields. Furthermore, Nutritional Aspects of Bone Health will be of particular interest to the food industry as the popularity of foods designed to target specific health issues increases, and nutritional therapy has a critical role to play in this major public health problem.See all Product Description
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Food & Drink > Diets & Healthy Eating > Healthy Eating
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Internal Medicine > Rheumatology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Surgery
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Physiology
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Biochemistry
- Books > Science & Nature > Chemistry > Analytical Chemistry
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Research & Equipment > Epidemiology & Medical Statistics
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Orthopaedic & Fractures
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Public Health & Preventive Medicine
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Research & Equipment
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z > Orthopaedic & Fractures
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z > Public Health & Preventive Medicine