Nuclear Energy in the 21st Century: World Nuclear University Press: World Nuclear Association Paperback – 9 Oct 2006
|New from||Used from|
There is a newer edition of this item:
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
“Ian Hore-Lacy guides the reader expertly through the many complexities of nuclear energy. This is an invaluable resource for anyone wishing to distinguish fact from myth and to gain understanding in this crucial field. – Hans Blix, Chancellor, World Nuclear University, and Director General-Emeritus, International Atomic Energy Agency
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
There is little doubt the book is pro-nuclear but, as David MacKay states so beautifully in Sustainable Energy ("Please don’t get me wrong: I’m not trying to be pro-nuclear. I’m just pro-arithmetic.") it's hard to be anything else once you look into the reality of deaths/TWh, CO2/TWh, space required/TWh etc. The sources used, however, are not specifically pro-nuclear, but typically come from UN, World Bank and other highly reputable institutions - brought together, they compellingly describe what nuclear energy allows us to do, what the price would be, and how we would need to manage & regulate the industry to ensure vitality and responsibility.
The book is rather slim, which will surprise you, but it's because it sticks to the issues - if you want to gain a layman's understanding of the industry, in a practical sense of how reactor types differ, what uranium the burn, how "spent" fuel is transitioned through the storage chain etc. this really is the best place to go. It's hard to find, but it's the right book to read if you need to discuss nuclear energy with others and don't have 5 years to spend in university.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
very well written and full of definitive balanced information on the subject. covers the entire energy situation at this crucial time for uk and the worldPublished on 8 Sept. 2013 by seadog
Ian Hore-Lacy is a world renowned expert on all aspects of nuclear energy, and this book sets the standard as a sophisticated and comprehensive primer on this crucial topic.Published on 7 July 2012 by environmental realist
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Economics
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Civil Engineering > Environmental
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Education > Teaching Aids
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Electrical > Energy
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Energy Technology > Nuclear Power
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Environmental
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Education > Teaching Aids
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Education > Teaching Aids
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Engineering > Energy Engineering
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Engineering > Environmental Engineering