- Audio CD (7 Nov. 2011)
- Number of Discs: 3
- Format: Box set
- Label: EMI TV
- ASIN: B0046BQ0D0
- Average Customer Review: 4.1 out of 5 stars See all reviews (61 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 54,357 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)
Now That's What I Call Xmas!  Box set
|Price:||£9.48 & FREE Delivery in the UK on orders dispatched by Amazon over £20. Details|
Order it now.
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
With over 2.5 million sales to date, NOW That's What I Call Xmas is back for another smashing year!
Perfect for the family, or a brilliant gift, NOW Xmas is to continue it's annual success - and this time round, 5 new tracks have been added, with the classics Chris Rea, "Driving Home For Christmas", East 17, "Stay Another Day", Pretenders, "2000 Miles", The Darkness, "Christmas Time (Don't Let The Bells End)", The Wombats, "Is This Christmas?"
Top Customer Reviews
That said, this is a great Christmas compliation, sure to keep the party going, and at a decent price for a triple CD.
There are a few pleasant surprises included among the selection, such as Bert Jansch and Sinead O'Connor, but the usual suspects are there for the most part - John Lennon, Slade, Wizzard, etc.
I do have two slight gripes about the compilation though:
1. Many of the songs on here are not performed by the artists you would want to hear performing them. Nobody wants to here "All I Want For Christmas Is You" by anyone other than Mariah Carey, "Mary's Boy Child" by anyone other than Harry Belafonte or Boney M, or "Last Christmas" by anyone other than Wham! This problem is most apparent on the tracks which had originally featured on Phil Spector's classic Christmas album. Obviously there must have been licensing issues, because you would not choose any of the alternative versions provided here over Spector's masterpieces.
2. Too many of the songs are not actually Christmas songs. They may be very pleasant, and a bit wintry sounding, but among others, "Swinging on a Star" and "Winter Melody" are definitely NOT Christmas songs. ("Winter Melody" in particular is a deeply depressing song, and certainly has no place here - listen to the lyrics!)
To boil it down, this would have been better as a more focused double CD, but it should keep all but the most determined Grinches happy.
Anyway, all in all, still a good Christmasy album that should keep most people happy.
Fab for parties or get togethers at Christmas, or just to play to yourself if you need to get in the mood (I loved listening to it while wrapping presents!)
It's got a good range of songs on, old and new, with most of them being the originals. The covers are all pretty good too, after all, a Christmas song is a Christmas song no matter who it's sung by. My only real disappointment is that 'Last Christmas' is an instrumental, no vocals at all. There are a couple of songs I will probably skip past, but I already knew they were on there (just put the songs into YouTube and check if you're not sure if you'll like them - that's what I did).
Just a warning, it's virtually the same (if not identical) to the green covered version that came out a year ago, but it's as simple as reading the CD listing - if it's the same as your current CD, don't buy it (which I would have thought was pretty obvious).
I am very pleased with this CD and am looking forwards to listening to it properly next year. Plenty of songs to keep me busy all Christmas long :D
The 2012 version is far, far better, so look before you buy.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Good buy and pleased with it, has all the favourite songs on it.Published 5 months ago by Amazon Customer
I don't suppose ANY compilation has every Christmas chart hit..otherwise people would only buy one that did. This has a good selection.Published 12 months ago by Phil Allitt
The 1st cd with all the songs we love, the whole family are chuffed and looking forward to Dec when we can put it on!Published 14 months ago by Zoe