Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 February 2012
Read this in the Kindle edtion and very good value it turned out to be.
I was intrigued by the sample so downloaded the whole book and was not disappointed. The story really captured the flavour of a small town (yes I know I'm UK based but all small towns have similarities. ) The characters are well drawn, I particularly liked Stella, and the situations are not too unbelievable. The central character is appealing and, like Lucy Stone of Leslie Meier's series, as a reporter on a small town newspaper, has the perfect opportunity to snoop around. I really enjoyed the snippets from the paper at the end of chapters.
I hope this is the start of a series. I'm certainly going to keep an eye out for the next one !
Welcome Ms.Love Cook
on 26 July 2012
Despite being a murder mystery this book is good fun and made me laugh several times.

Rose is a reporter on a small town newspaper, her job involves writing the 'Aunty Pearl Home Hints' column and investigating the threatened thefts of model pigs from outside the town diner. This all changes when an eminent psychologist is murdered in her office. Rose is so affronted that such a thing should happen in her town that she decides to investigate. Along the way we meet a whole range of Rose's friends and neighbours. My favourite characters are Rose's boyfriend, who thinks it's okay to wear a chicken hat and B.A. who accidentally wears luminous toe nail varnish to the victim's funeral. I also have a soft spot for Raul the ugly, hairless, depressed and hat phobic dog.

I love the fact that the detection is interspersed with Auntie Pearl's answers to her correspondents. Pearl always ignores the true point of the letters and concentrates on the household tips - I now know how to make a good cucumber salad!
I'll be looking out for more books in this series.
on 24 August 2012
This is a very lively and entertaining mystery novel. Set in a sleepy seaside resort in New England, its breezy heroine Rose, an English teacher turned reporter on the local newspaper, investigates the murder of a high profile local career woman, in a town where nothing much ever happens. Along the way she is also trying to find ways to stop the development of a historic area of coastline by unscrupulous developers. Rose, who is in her late 30s, makes an engaging heroine, with her waspish asides and can do manner. None of the usual emotional baggage of a mystery sleuth here; no empty fridges and childhood traumas, haunt her as she pursues her investigations, all the while going about her day job as a harmless local reporter. For a bright and enjoyable read with a murder mystery to solve, this is highly recommended. I look forward to more of Rose's adventures in future.
on 25 July 2013
The best part of this book was reading the blurb as to what the book was about. That's where the fun began and ended for me. I found this book so disjointed and very little of it made any sense and it didn't hold my attention. Also what I read of the story didn't seem to progress - more like digress or go round the houses to get next door. I hate giving up on books, but sadly I was losing the will to live before I got half way through and therefore I ended up saying adios.

Would not recommend.
on 10 April 2013
A delightful comedic murder mystery, set in small town America, where the usual petty jealousies abound, on this occasion spilling over into the murder of a local lady. The first in the series, the story introduces us to sassy, breezy, Rose, who uses her journalistic credentials to investigate and solve such murder is. It's a fun page turner and isn't laid down with emotional navel-gazing. Violence and foul language are kept to minimum. The author successfully conceals the villain until the last moment.
One for a lazy weekend.

The Night of Harrison Monk's Death: Jane Hetherington's adventures in detection: 1Pandora's Box: Jane Hetherington's Adventures in Detection: 2A Game of Cat and Mouse: Jane Hetherington's Adventures in Detection: 3
on 6 August 2013
The best word to describe this book is blah. I don't feel this book took me on a story telling journey it just started and then ended with not much in between. I felt no warmth for the characters. It just didn't feel like a book. The author obviously hadn't given much thought to the book or what they wrote. The most annoying thing for me was when finnan haddie was called Scandinavian. Sums up the book perfectly lazy writing.
on 27 July 2013
I found this to be a disappointing read; Ikept with it hoping that more depth , in story and characters would emerge , but it remained dull and predictable.
on 21 September 2014
great book, will add more by this author to my kindle..
on 15 September 2014
Good service will use again
on 17 February 2013
Very good story look forward to going back to the cove characters well thought up with good background would like more hanky lanky!,