Northern Girls: Heartbreak, Revenge And The New Dance Craze
|Price:||£8.99 & FREE Delivery in the UK on orders over £20. Details|
Order now and we'll deliver when available. We'll e-mail you with an estimated delivery date as soon as we have more information. Your account will only be charged when we dispatch the item.
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
25 tracks of pricey northern soul 45s from some of the great female voices. Sweeping strings and compulsive dance beats underpin this collection that brings together Patti LaBelle, Little Eva and Claudine Clark. With obscure gems from Juanita Nixon, Ann Cole, Tiny Topsy and Lula Reed. Plus some storming anthems including Barbara Dane s euphoric I m On My Way and Tell Him by The Exciters. Remastered from the original sound sourceswith sleevenotes by MOJO magazine s Dave Henderson.
Top Customer Reviews
1. I'm On My Way - Barbara Dane : 1960 (Trey 3012)
2. Stop Knockin' - Juanita Nixon : 1960 (King 45-5375)
3. The Chaperone - Labrenda Ben And The Beljeans : 1962 (Gordy Go-7009)
4. Tell Him - The Exciters : 1963 (United Artists UA 544)
5. What Kind Of Girl (Do You Think I Am?) - The Charmaines : 1961 (Fraternity F-880)
6. Party Lights - Claudine Clark : 1962 (Chancellor C 1113)
7. Bad Boy - The Donays : 1962 (Brent 7033)
8. Is It True (What They Say About You) - Hattie Littles : 1962 (Gordy 7004 - not issued)
9. Just A Little Bit - Tiny Topsy : 1959 (Federal 45-12357)
10. I'm Gonna Be A Fool Next Monday - Kitty White : 1955 (Mercury 70750X45)
11. Keep Your Hands Off My Baby - Little Eva : 1962 (Dimension 1003)
12. Let Love Go By - Jeanette "Baby" Washington : 1961 (ABC Paramount 10245)
13. I Sold My Heart To The Junkman - Patti Labelle And The Bluebelles : 1962 (Newtown 5000)
14. Puddentane - Lula Reed : 1961 (Federal 45-12416)
15. Take Your Heart - Betty Willis : 1960 (Rendezvous 190)
16. Sing On Baby - Meg Myles : 1956 (Capitol F3330)
17. You Ain't Such A Much - Blanche Thomas : 1954 (Imperial 5302)
18. Wanted - Bobbie Smith & The Dream Girls : 1961 (Big Top 45-3085)
19. Oh Lover - Sherri Taylor And Singin' Sammy Ward : 1960 (Motown 1004)
20. The Headshrinker - Johnnie Mae Matthews : 1961 (Reel 112)
21. The Sound Of My Man - Theola Kilgore : 1960 (Candix 311)
22.Read more ›
Firstly I agree with the other comments here that (both albums) are not Northern Soul, rather early R&B. However what you will get is an album packed full of gems, exploding crackling pieces of magic.
I have to say the hands down winner between Girls and Boys is the Girls. Whilst the Boys generally stick to the basic 'I got this girl.....and she's so fine...' routines, the 'Girls' album offers far more emotional depth / teenage angst. I particularly like 'What kind of girl' and the franky hilarious 'Chaperone'. The bands sound much tighter also.
John CC told me to buy it, so I'm passing on the instruction.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
A few good tracks. A lot of tracks I would not consider Northern Soul as Title suggests. Still OK if you like 60's soul in general.Published on 27 Jan. 2014 by Leo Brady
This is not a Northern Soul Compilation; it is a compilation of good R&B tracks that would probably have been familiar to some Modernists of the time. Read morePublished on 24 Sept. 2013 by Sean