on 3 June 2009
Non-Verbal Reasoning are the tests that are all shapes and symbols, and you have to spot what the connection is between the shapes and therefore what the next symbol in the pattern is, or which is the odd one out, or which is the missing one in pairs or symbols.

To do these you need to consider shape, position, angle, number, shading, and size. This book has a set of practice papers that cover all these techniques - and the answers - but it doesn't explain how to do it or why it is answer 'a' or whatever.

My children have used these books with the bond book 'How to do Non-Verbal Reasoning' which I also highly recommend - as it has lessons in what to look for.

However in different parts of the country the 11+ has slightly different papers, so check what sort your area does. However I believe this book is a great starter point, just get your child to do say 15 mins every day and before you know it they will begin to get the idea and pick up speed when doing them. Each 'paper' in the book is meant to take about 45 mins. Then move onto actual practice papers for your area, although these may be exactly what your area does.

I expect you will also look at 'verbal reasoning' which is the same type of thing except using words and letters. In all these books you write directly into the book which is great as there is no need for loose bits of paper. - however do remove the answers from the centre and put them somewhere safe, as they are very tempting for little eyes!

Good luck and get those pencils sharpened!
on 9 March 2014
A bit pointless for my son, seems a bit too obvious and easy. Good book I'd say if you actually need it.
on 23 June 2011
I bought the Bond Assessment books for my elder daughter in preparation for her school entrance exam. Great to get the hang of non-verbal reasoning - even my husband & I struggled at times! At least we could have a sneaky peep at the answers!
on 17 May 2010
I am a tutor and one of my pupils has bought a faulty book in this edition, printed 2007. The faulty book bought for working in our classes has only 54 questions on Paper 2, but 60 answers in the answer page for the Paper. Looking at another child's book, same year same edition and title, there are 60 answers for this paper, some of the questions differ, but the answers that are there are the same- and do not seem correct to me! It's almost cruel for a child in this situation- these questions are very hard and to have some answers which are, in effect, wrong, makes the child lose all trust not only in the book, but more importantly, their own non verbal reasoning, as the feedback from the answers was initially trusted, struggled with, until finally, by looking at another book, we found it cannot be trusted.

I do not know why errors are made in new editions. This series has been going for years and years, so why the mistakes? new editions should make improvements in a series.
on 28 July 2010
Our daughter was struggling with 11+ non verbal reasoning papers, so we purchased the Fourth Papers in Non-Verbal Reasoning 10-11+ to take her a step back - this improved her confidence tremendously. We have used Bond Assessment Papers (Maths, NVR, VR and English) for years with our daughter as an extra to homework, she's one of the youngest in her yeargroup and near the top of her yeargroup.
on 15 December 2012
Very good preparation for school tests and external exams The pupil finds them hard sometimes but worthwhile and helps with practising the questions so they are not a suprise in the tests
on 12 September 2011
The Bond exam revision books are very useful for children who need to prepare for tests. I received my order promptly and in perfect condition.
on 2 January 2012
this is an excellent book that covers all the essentials for non verbal reasoning. I purchased this for my son to prepare for secondary school entrance exams. The book gave him a thorough overview of what to expect.

I would recommend this to any parent.
on 31 December 2012
Daughters improving with each day. She feels more confident and loves marking her work to check her own progress. A great buy!
on 20 December 2012
It is a perfect book for 11+ preparation. The right difficulty will not get your child upset, because they cannot do it.