Customer reviews

Nokia C5-00 5MP
Colour: White|Change
Price:£145.00 - £169.95

on 29 January 2013
I upgraded my previous C5 at my contractual phone shop, and was told that "touch screen" is all the rage, people were doing it at parties, up telegraph poles and potholing in stereo, I lasted just over a week, it did my head in, and there are times in my life when pure logic and comfort overcomes prissy technology and this was it.
The C5 has everything I need, it has a good camera and video, satnav, voice recorder, gives your co ordinates incase you need help and you are in the middle of nowhere, it enables multiple email addresses and I nearly forgot, you can also make phone calls with it..... ALL AT THE TOUCH OF A BUTTON, it is my phone of choice where I can press the correct button and get the correct entry every time, rather than spinning right past it and stubbing your finger on the wrong one, several times. Quote me happy!, the only downside with this particular handset, was that it was Polish, and texting is a bind as they use more letters than us and voicemail notification is in polish, ....I was not informed of this when I purchased, don't make the same mistake.
on 28 April 2013
Ok this phone has good points - the screen and buttons are both much bigger than my previous Nokia 'classic' phone even though the phone as a whole is scarcely any bigger; the battery life is really good; it will access the internet quickly; the camera is good enough to post pics at full size onto facebook etc; and it doesn't involve any use of a touchscreen (unlike similar Nokia phones like the C3).

But - and this is a big BUT - this phone has some really bad faults that are driving me mad: the time on the clock keeps changing (possibly due to it updating itself from faulty websites but I can't find a way of stopping it doing that); most times I switch the phone off and on again I have to re-set the time and date from scratch; when you come back out of a menu (particularly on the internet) it jumps right back to the home menu rather than just to the previous menu; the small 'c' key on the right-hand side is badly positioned and whenever I catch it by accident it throws me right out of whatever I'm doing; and (admittedly after 18 months use) the numbers and letters on the keys are fading badly.

But by far the worst thing is the predictive text - it is as though Nokia have uninvented it and started again from scratch. I find it difficult to describe how bad it is, much worse than low-tech phones I owned more than a decade ago, and worse that the cheap £10 basic phone I bought my mum for Christmas. For example, you can no longer insert numbers when in 'predictive mode', you have to switch to unpredictive mode and back again; on websites if you mis-spell something (or it changes unexpectedly to a different word on the last letter) you can't do a backspace to highlight the word and re-edit it, you can only delete the word and start again; it invents completely new words at random (so if i type in the letters for 'drunk' it comes up with 'drtol' as its first option); it randomly adds predictive options of words with capitals at the beginning or even (ridiculously) a capital letter at the end; it automatically inserts a space after you edit any word so if you then want to add punctuation you have to do an unnecessary backspace; and sometimes it changes the default predictive word option to the words you use most regularly, but at other times it doesn't (however many times I've selected 'drunk' it still defaults to the mysterious 'drtol' as its first option).

All in all the phone becomes incredibly frustrating to use - it is as though Nokia have never even tested it before putting it on the market or gave up developing it half-way through to concentrate on smartphones. Which is a shame, bacause I think there is still a market for this type of non-touchscreen, non-smart phone that still has a camera and basic internet, even if Nokia and others seem to be dividing the market into 'smart' and very cheap basic phones, with nothing in-between.
on 5 November 2012
I was moving from a smartphone back to standard phones and this product seemed to fit the bill - when it arrived it was meant to be easy to setup but as i am in the UK the instructions were all in German and the charger was a european charger.

That this phone was a german phone was not mentioned anywhere!!

after buying a new charger and it was easy enough to setup the phone its now working OK!

its a good phone with a long life battery.....what i need for work!
on 9 September 2017
Just what we wanted, typical nokia quality, easy to use and navigate the menu. Very good product arrived well packed with charger.
on 29 June 2014
Had this model previously (dropped it into a puddle0 so I new what I was getting - a basic no frills mobile phone.
on 4 April 2016
It wasn't SIM free- it was locked
on 7 November 2015
Fine
on 31 December 2014
Phone arrived promptly and in good condition, however there was no charger with it, I wasn't that concerned as I have a number of spare chargers. The phone is great I can recommend this make to anyone who wants a traditional style mobile with many smart phone features
on 3 June 2015