on 31 January 2018
It is a well written. Kate Adie balanced the mounds of statistics, the intransigence of authority and the stories of the foundlings without making heavy weather of it all. It was an interesting and sad read. I hadn’t really thought about the problem in the UK or elsewhere in the world. I admired the single voices who spent years working for reform against the inertia and obstinacy of those in positions of power and then the sadness of the women driven to such dreadful acts. We will never know their story, just speculation.
on 11 December 2016
Particularly fascinating for adopted children like me. Until I read this book I had no idea that such a huge number of babies were abandoned worldwide. The research Kate Adie has done for this book is meticulous.
on 29 April 2017
Being aware that Kate Adie was adopted I had anticipated more about her experiences, perceptions and reflections. The book focused more on the history and theory of adoption. I have to say, although the book was well executed, I was disappointed.
on 22 December 2016
An excellent read.
on 4 September 2016
Arrived on time good
on 13 August 2014
Great book, Kate Adie has a lovely writin skill which makes you feel you are there too.
on 7 July 2014
A well researched and thoughtful book, harrowing in parts. It left me with new questions about today's varying attitudes towards abortions etc.
on 1 May 2013
Fascinating and very moving insight into Foundlings. Only people of a certain age can appreciate the stigma attached to babies born out of wedlock. It must have been been a desperate situation for the mothers and painful for a child to discover they have been abandoned.
on 28 April 2013
I BOUGHT THIS FOR A FRIEND ONE CHRISTMAS AS I KNEW IT WAS RIGHT UP HER STREET, SHE FOUND IT REALLY INTERESTING AND MOVING.
on 27 March 2014
This book is very well written & tells the stories of so many abandoned children. It also includes personal accounts of some individuals who have risen above their very difficult start in life.