on 14 November 2013
Having previously encountered other work by James Maxey (his fantasy novels about Dragons ~ Bitterwood etc.), I was thrilled to have the opportunity to sample something a little different by an assured writer. With excitement and anticipation I delved headlong into a fast-paced adventure, which sadly was incredibly disappointing and sub-standard in comparison to his other published works. I am a huge fan of the sci-fi genre and I enjoy series like `Heroes' or comics that contain memorable superheroes with extraordinary superpowers that blow your mind. This book contained forgettable characters that I didn't connect with and who blended into the background. The humor and dry wit within the story grabbed my attention, otherwise the insubstantial plot and rather cliché scenarios caused me to loose interest in this apocalyptic adventure. Unlike the atypical roller coaster thrill-ride I was expecting, this parody was rather deflating than dramatic and did not have that mind-blowing `wow' which I presumed I would find.

However I was entertained and certainly enjoyed reading Richard's tale as he was thrust into an imaginative world with sexy heroines and the electrifying Dr. Know. One expects a superhero(s) to save mankind from total destruction and yet I was hoping for this basic concept to have been expanded upon, including characterization developed and more inventive/ original superpowers. This is a good read and one that is certainly worth a look if you like the genre/ style of book but I would not class it as anything exceptional, and I feel strongly that the author could have done much better with this. (Perhaps the author is more suited to sticking to fantasy?)

Dreadfully disappointing and discouraging, I was sadly let down by this book that promised so much. James Maxey is nevertheless a skilled writer with a remarkably vivid imagination and wonderful way with words, and yet this superhero story was below standard for him.

*I won a copy of `Nobody gets the girl: a superhero story' by James Maxey through a Goodreads, first-read book giveaway*
on 12 May 2012
This is a light, easy to read book.

The hero wakes up one day to find no one can see him, and he has become non-existent. He then finds out this was due to the actions of a super scientist, who went back in time, and stopped his parents from conceiving ( by mistake).

The hero is asked to battle a supervillain, but soon starts to have doubts about who the real villain could be...
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse