Customer reviews

on 17 March 2014
Loved the music of this album, and an instant download was a bonus, even though i love the physical disc. The only drawback is that expected a better package and content of the actual CD, but even so it is a great album and a great addon to my collection of music!
on 26 January 2017
Ok!!!
on 3 July 2014
Awesome album
on 24 January 2013
Oh well, one man's mix is another's poison, I guess. For me though, Criolo is a Tropicalist for the new decade and this album is a fabulous example.

As I understand it, the Tropicalismo movement in Brazil of the 1960s and 70s was all about adopting ideas and styles from everywhere and making them new in uniquely Brazilian ways. And that's what Criolo does here. He starts with samba and brings in whatever strikes his fancy: soul music, rock, hip-hop, reggae, afrobeat, even free jazz.

I don't understand Portuguese, but friends who do tell me Criolo's lyrics are vivid, poetic and thought-provoking. They certainly sound it and I believe this album has sold over 400,000 in Brazil alone, they can't all be wrong (hhmmnnn .... maybe they can ... but not in this case!). Standout tracks for me? The Afrobeat-ish opener "Bogotá", and also "Lion Man", which samples the genuinely popular, though sadly now dead, Ethiopian singer, Tilahoun Gessesse.
2 people found this helpful
on 3 January 2013
This CD was given to me for Christmas by someone I'm extremely fond of. So I've tried really hard. I've listened to at least a part of every track in the hope of finding something that wasn't utterly dreadful. Without success. The tragedy is that Criolo might have something good and valuable to say - like, for example, Manu Chao - but instead he has tried here to please a broad variety of audiences with elements of jazz, afrobeat, rap and whatever amounting to a ghastly mishmash of smooth latin-american pap. Maybe the best thing for him would be to be shut in a room with Jamie Cullum. Then after a while maybe both of them might be motivated to find decent jobs that don't involve trying to sing.
One person found this helpful