No Insignificant Part: The Rhodesia Native Regiment and the East African Campaign of the First World War Hardcover – 1 Apr 2005
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Stapleton has made the most of the fragmented sources to rescue the Rhodesia Native Regiment from undeserved neglect in the scholarly literature on Africa in the First World War. His account not only painstakingly reconstructs the RNR s operations in the East Africa campaign but in the process throws a searching light on the nature of the racist Southern Rhodesian state that recruited the RNR, and empathetically probes what military service meant for the African soldiers themselves. This book contributes significantly to our understanding of the nature of the Great War in Africa. --John Laband, Wilfrid Laurier University, author of "The Transvaal Rebellion: The First Boer War 1880-1881""
About the Author
Timothy J. Stapleton has been a post-doctoral fellow at Rhodes University, a senior lecturer in history at the University of Fort Hare, South Africa, and a research associate at the University of Zimbabwe. He is currently associate professor and chair of history at Trent University, Ontario. He is the author of Faku: Rulership and Colonialism in the Mpondo Kingdom, 1780-1867 (WLU Press, 2001).
Top Customer Reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > World War I 1914-1918
- Books > History > Countries & Regions > Africa > Eastern
- Books > History > Countries & Regions > Africa > Southern
- Books > History > Europe > World War I 1914-1918
- Books > History > Military History > Military Life & Institutions
- Books > History > Military History > World War I
- Books > History > World History > World War I 1914-1918