Customer reviews

on 1 August 2007
To think that some of the garments pictured in coloured detail were done by hand is amazing. The skill, time and effort involved cannot be underestimated. One really gets the sense of what it would have been like to have worn such clothes and the lifestyle and restrictions involved. Although it would have been nice to see the the whole garment as well as the detail this did not spoil my enjoyment. One thing (a minor point really considering the eye candy on offer here)I would really love to know from books such as these is, what are the measurements of the garments. What was the bust. waist and length of the dress? Shouldn't grumble though - buy it and just sit and be amazed.
on 14 June 2017
Fantastic book!!!
on 7 November 2008
I am a costume construction student and purchased this book 2007. I have referred to it quite a few times because of its beautiful close up details that have been relevant to assignments but it does frustrate me time over that I cannot see the complete garment. It really is a lovely book but maybe for someone who has interest in costume rather than someone looking for visual research.
on 13 January 2010
as a stage designer I'm always in search of detailed informations about period costume, I found this book really marvelous, plenty of wonderful large coloured pictures and accurate interesting texts. the organisation of costumes in the book is also very interesting: "the male image, historicism, romantic styles, exoticism, innovations, construction details, the natural world" showing various influences of the ninetennth cetury fashion.
on 15 April 2009
As a lover of historical fashion and a creator of reproduction costume, I find this book an excellent reference manual, showing details of construction. As well as being informative, its clean lay out and beautiful photographs are just as valuable to me and make the book a stunning visual addition to my library.

If you are interested in historical fashion, I cannot imagine you'd be anything but delighted with this book.

My only critiscm is that it's too short, I want more and more...
on 11 October 2009
This book is a feast for the eyes. As the title indicates it focuses on details of design, fabric, or construction, rather than whole ensembles, but it is useful for those interested in historical and modern dressmaking, wanting to expand their repertoire of ideas. Beautiful to look at, and inspiring.
on 26 December 2005
This is a sumptuous book with beautiful details concerning 19th century fashion.The skills of fromer dressmakers are consierable. the photography is superb. perhaps more photos of the drees in full would have made it a 5
on 11 January 2011
This book is full of loads of useful images and pictures of Victorian garments, there are technical flats accompanying the pictures with all seam and stitch detailing. I'm a fashion student and I found this book really helpful for my dissertation and my final major project, I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is interested in Victorian fashion or any fashion students who are interested in the construction of 19th century garments.
on 24 November 2009
Even if you have no interest in fashion, design or tailoring, buy this book for the photography and the beauty of the subject. I justified buying it as I am researching mid nineteenth century fashion and fabrics and the detail, although not extensive, has pointed me in the right direction. However even if it had been of no academic use, it would have been worth it just to feast my eyes!
on 11 September 2011
I am so pleased with this book. The text about each item is interesting and gives a real insight into the 19th century fashion conscious man and woman. I only wish this much information had been given on the V&As 17th & 18 century book as these centuries are my true interest. You will not be disappointed with this book.