Customer reviews

on 30 August 2017
This was a first for me to try. I have waited for the sunshine to do 2 x pieces of clothing, coats. The instructions are clear and easy to follow. The coat was light in colour, but had stains on it from jeans that meant it had a hint of blue on the inside. washed first, and the solution says use with like colours and only 1 - 2 items. Washed well and colour stain from the jeans, minimal...only see it if you know where to look...then did the 2nd wash with the waterproofing...dried on the line in the sunshine...tried a little water on it...it just ran off in little 'balls of water' Fantastic...did the 2nd darker coat...and same result...Already for the rain to fall in the winter!! Really ppleased with the results.
on 15 March 2014
If you have technical clothing don't make the mistake of thinking "I'll just shove it in the washing machine" for when it has dried it may retain some abilities in the showerproof department but it certainly won't be waterproof any more.

Technical clothing needs to be specialist cleaned so as not to damage the fabric and specialist re-proofed by virtue of having the water repellant washed in.

The Tech Wash and the TX.Direct Wash-In perform these exact functions. With these two 300ml size you can wash and re-proof about 3 or 4 items and given your original outlay for your outdoor gear using these every 3 years is simply maintaining your investment...my Regatta coat is still going strong and it is 11 years old as of 2014.

Follow the simple instructions which basically mean, place items in washing machine and add Tech Wash. No need to dry just add TX.Direct when your machine has finished its cycle and let the re-proofing do its work.

That's it. Simples.
on 11 September 2016
Well I have just used this product. I had two gore tex jackets that needed reproofing, one from Berghaus and one from Mountain Equipment. Both had been washed before in a normal domestic wash as directed on the labels. I was concerned these products would not work and I needed new jackets, but for £10 I thought it was worth a try.

I cleaned out the detergent tray before using the products. I did exactly as suggested, did not dry the coats between treatment. The moment I got them out from the dryer I knew that there was something different about the coats and I am pleased to report that the water is beading very nicely once again.

I have no idea why this worked and others have had failure. My thoughts are for £10 however this is worth a go.
on 11 September 2017
Easy to follow instructions. I opted for the lazy route of using the machine for both steps.
Left my jacket to air dry after a slow spin cycle post wash in and it is now beading water again - ready in time for the winter months!
The jacket doesn't smell clean as such, more of a PVA glue smell but that's fading now.
Was worried the washing machine would be a bit gunked up after this but a hot wash removed the lingering plastic smell.

As mentioned in other reviews it would be more economical if the dosing quantities / size of the bottles differed as one will run out before the other.

Otherwise, I would recommend this product to restore the waterproof qualities!
on 4 December 2015
I love these products, which is why I ordered a large twin pack, which will hopefully last me for a while. However, I have one bug bear. Why do companies feel it's OK to plaster their advertising all over the outside of the box, together with the detail of what's IN the box? Just as I often won't buy products if their advertising is truly attrocious (perfumes, toothpaste, etc), I can be a bit bloody minded about the world not knowing everything I buy. The postman will, by now, have an indepth idea of everything inside our home by now and if I wanted to keep a gift secret from family members, I can forget it. Please stop it. I take the same view about Nikwax as I would if I were buying something really embarrassing. I don't want the world to know about it, even if you do. (The next time you post a parcel and the person behind the counter asks you what's in it, don't tell them. I didn't and she muttered something about batteries exploding, but when I asked her to go into more detail, she couldn't. The parcel was sent anyway, but I lost a little of my life sorting her little brainwashed noggin out.)
on 16 October 2015
Completed my first wash and reproofing treatment of two garments, waterproof jacket and trousers.
I took the opportunity to run a cleaning solution through the washing machine prior to using the Nikwax products.(As recommended)
There are numerous washing/dishwasher machine cleaning products out there to use at low cost.
Washed and reproofed garments as per directions given on each product.
Note! No need to dry garments after the wash cycle just continue with the reproofing cycle, then hang to drip dry.
Take care removing garments from your machine as they are dripping wet, I used 800rpm spin cycle.
Garments look cleaner and dried well, no apparent loss of colour with treatment.
Have not been out in really wet conditions yet but just out in a small shower showed rain drops beading on garments.
Looks good so far.
on 8 October 2016
Super simple to use and completely refreshed my regatta jacket. I used all the contents to was and then reproof the jacket, dried it and flung a glass of water on it to see if it worked - the water rolled of like it would off the proverbial duck's back.

Not sure if they're good value but for speed and ease of purchase and delivery you can't go far wrong.
on 30 May 2013
I bought a Paramo jacket early this year and so needed so of this to wash it with apparently. Not used it on that yet but I just washed a pair of Yeti gaiters with the wash component and I felt it worth reviewing. These gaiters have been on my boots through a wet (& so dirty) autumn, winter and spring walking on Dartmoor. To call them dirty would be something of an understatement! Washing them in techwash once has brought out almost all the dirt which I think is pretty effective.

I have washed an old goretex jacket and proofed it. Washing was fine - not rained that much since I proofed it but will update this review when I've had it out in the rain for a while. Worth bearing in mind that the amount of the wash you need to use is something to get used to - the recommended capful for the gaiters was more than enough - half a cap would have probably had a very similar effect. Depends on your water hardness, size of bowl, garment etc.
on 14 October 2013
Good news-You can use these both via a handwash, I put this down as too much faff and used the washing machine. First off wash your coats on a 30 deg C synthetic cycle in the Techwash and straight away while wet repeat using the proofer ( TX.Direct) on the same cycle, dry coats and bingo they are clean and the waterprroffing is back to water beading like when new.

So what's my problem?- well it's this. The 150ml when you order reffers to how much wash you get which seems to be OK to do 2 adult coats ( according to the bottle) then the proofer ( which frankly is the whole point) is only 100ml which is enought to do ONE coat-says the bottle. So great product, works well, but if you are like me and had planned to more than 1 coat- buy the bigger size.....
on 8 March 2016
I've used Nikwax Tech Wash/TX. Direct combination twice to restore the waterproof qualities of my Berghaus jacket (100% Nylon weave with Gore-tex), that is now many years old. On each occasion I've been very pleased with the restorative effect with water effectively beading and running off the surface. Simply follow the instructions, putting it through the washing machine. Therefore, non-messy & no spraying required.
I feel that uniform coverage of the fabric is guaranteed by this immersive method, rather than relying on manually spraying.