on 2 June 2017
well helpful
VINE VOICEon 22 July 2005
I purchased this book hoping that it might be of help. Well, it was. Compared to the camera's handbook, the font used is a little larger and thus much easier to read, the detail appears to be accurate and the subject matter clearly explained. Some points are explained that are just not clear from the camera's handbook. For instance, the original book tends to skip over the subject of histograms. This book explains what they are, how they are used and why one should use them. Other obscure points are also clarified. My advice is if you own the Nikon D70 or D70S, buy it, you will not regret it but will find it to be a usefull adjunct to a superb camera.
on 1 September 2005
Don't waste your money - this is ok if you havn't got the manual, but it really is just a copy of the nikon handbook - virtually the same charts too - I was looking for that bit extra - this is not it!
on 25 August 2005
I found this book to be an expanded version of the manual that comes with the camera. It is helpful in that it explains various functions and features in a little more detail than the actual manual, but that's about it. As far as I am aware it was one of the first - if not the first - after market book for the D70 and this shows. If you have a D70 and want more in-depth coverage and explanation along with in situ examples this book might not be for you, however if you just need more detail about your camera along with limited guidance this book would make a useful addition to the manaul and any other guides.
on 4 February 2011
Simon Stafford is a Nikon buff who has produced guides for all of the Nikon DSLR's, this being for the D70/S which is an older DSLR, which I recently bought second hand. His guides are well laid out, being broken into logical sections, and very detailed - far more depth than the standard manual, as well as including hints/tips/suggestions that are generally very helpful. There is also a small, laminated reference card that can be pulled out and kept with your camera - more practical than keeping the guide or even the Nikon D70 manual in your pocket.

The guide also goes beyond the range of Nikon's manual for the camera by covering flash and lenses beyond the default 18-70 lens provided with the kit.

I found the book best approached by reading a particular section depending on what you want to read up on - it's not really a book to read from cover to cover.

I give it 4 not 5 stars for the following reasons which should not of themselves stop you buying this guide:

- presentation is a little dull with relatively few pictures, those there are being in black and white;
- he is a technical enthusiast, and doesn't quite have the style and panache of say Scott Kelby in his books (though you may feel given the purpose of the book, that would be unnecessary here);
- I sense that he is a film guy that has converted to digital (fair enough, so am I!) and that may have contributed to my feeling in a couple of places that I wasn't wholly convinced by his explanation and recommendation for camera set up - particularly around colour space and colour adjustments. I read another authors suggestions on the D70 (Ken Rockwell, his is all on line) that made much more sense to me. I would suggest if you are interested in making changes to the default settings for colour space and adjustments (saturation, hue) for the D70 or any camera you research the subject first (unless you're proficient in these things anyway, in which case I doff my hat!)

ps I have also used a D200 with Simon Staffords guide for that to hand and would have the same comments as above, so I think it is fairly safe to say all his guides are similarly useful for the relevant Nikon DSLR. Certainly if/when I buy another Nikon I will definitely seek out his guide.
on 21 January 2015
My D70s camera is a bit long in the tooth now but still very serviceable. There are some intricacies that I've never quite got to grips with and the manual supplied by Nikon isn't the clearest instruction book in the world. But then it is considerably shorter that thei "Magic LanternGuide" which is authoritativef, comprehensive and clear. For the clearance sale price of about £3 buying it was a no-brainer. Arrived from the USA within a 3 week period that spanned Christmas and New Year. I'm very pleased with it.
on 26 October 2009
I love the book and can only say that if someone says that "it's the same as the user manual", then they either haven't read the user manual, or the book - one or the other ;-)

Of course they have lots of similar information because they're describing the same camera.

Other than that, they have nothing in common at all.

This book is interesting as well as being very helpful, and I'm very pleased that I bought it.

Mike
on 12 September 2014
I would have been delighted to review the D70s / D70 a Magic Lantern Guide which I bought as a present.. However , the wrong book arrived, that being the D70 Guide. It is now too late to remedy this error but I am now a wiser if slightly more sad customer.
on 11 July 2013
This item was purchased for my husband who is a keen photographer. He has read through the book and found quite a few useful tips.
on 13 March 2013
was told by a friend at work and am delighted with it .its very helpfull and am sure other camera folk will love it