VINE VOICEon 26 May 2008
In short, an excellent choice if you're an enthusiatic amatuer who can't justify the cost of a professional DSLR.

I bought this camera to replace my ageing Minolta film SLR, having promised myself that I'd wait until good quality DSLRs broke the 10 mega-pixel barrier at a reasonable price before parting with my cash. Minolta stopped producing SLRs a few years ago (replaced by Sony I think, which is an unknown quantity to me), so I decided to look at other brands. I've had a Nikon Coolpix point-and-shoot digital for some years which I've been very pleased with, so I plumped for a Nikon DSLR.

As an amatuer, I wanted a camera that is versatile, reasonably portable and of high quality. I also wanted something that would allow me to explore Digital SLR fully (point-and-shoot digital isn't the same of course, and the fast feedback you get with DSLR compared to film is wonderful). Given my budget and the current Nikon range, this came down to either the D80 or the D200. The D200 is very impressive, but I just couldn't justify the extra £300 or so that it costs and decided this was best spent on a better lense. Not only that, but the D80 is very close in specification to the D200. For me, the additional features of the D200 were just not worth the extra £300 given what I will use the camera for. So I went with the D80 and the excellent Nikon 18-200 VR lense and have not been disappointed. Nikon don't offer this body/lense combination as a kit, so I had to buy separately which of course ups the cost somewhat, but it's worth it I think.

Most of my images stay on the PC and the exceptional ones get printed up to A3 format for display. Resolution wise, the D80 seems to handle this with ease. The camera is a dream to use, and in the short time that I've had it I've had excellent results. As others have said, the camera oozes good quality, and this applies not only to the finish/controls but also under the hood as well. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
on 4 March 2014
Only had this camera for a couple of months and so far it has been a wonderful experience navigating my way around the menus etc.

Bought it to use with my Tamron 70-300 zoom and as a back up to my D5100 - it was cheaper to buy another camera body than chopping and changing lenses with the increased risk of damage to both. I'm not in a position to give a technical review but for a hobby photographer, or someone who is not swayed by the high pixel counts on newer, fancier cameras, this is a great camera.

It is making me think more about my shots and the technical aspects of each shot which is teaching me more and more each week, which is not to say the preset scene settings are not perfectly capable of helping you take great pictures.

All in all I am very happy with this camera.
on 26 April 2010
This Nikon D80 camera I had from Amazon websit, Some time ago from a chap on the second hand sales
department.It was a brilliant price for the body only. In new condition compleat with box.leads.
minus the instruction book.But not aproblem. As I had the book on this camera anyway,And I already
owned the D50 NIKON, It has produced some great pictures last week while I was in the,,ISLE-OF-MAN
Thanks to the seller/mr L.C./+ALL AT AMAZON.
FROM M.J.CRONIN, Bridgend. S/Wales
on 9 January 2017
Very good purchase with a low shutter count.
on 30 July 2016
Cancelled the Order.
on 31 July 2016
Camera is in very good condition and it's working perfect. I tested it few times but still I need to learn :D
on 14 October 2009
I first saw the D80 in use on a P&O cruise and saw the results taken by the photographers. I had been searching for a Nikon digital SLR as I had a collection of Nikon SLR lenses. However I found the new cameras have electronics in the lenses so it was quite hard to learn the camera. I now have the proper lens for the camera and so far the results seem to be very good, I can only get better. I would recommend anyone interested in this product used the 18-135 DX lens, the scope would be enormouse.
on 7 July 2015
I purchased this as an addition to an already large collection of photographic equipment. I have to comment that the seller 'Modern Angle Photo' was 100% accurate in his description of this camera body. It was indeed MINT! The only negative thing was I did not receive a manual for as stated..., just some misc paperwork!

Just in case you may be tempted by the now very low price of the D80...., be warned. This was an early model DSLR & is prone to metering issues, as was the D100. In real terms this means exposure variation from shot to shot. If you can look past these, this is a great camera especially when fitted with a battery grip. Have a look at the 3rd-party models as most are just as good as the MB-D80 but a fraction of the price!
on 9 July 2015
Fantastic product and good service
on 3 August 2015
This camera is fantastic love it