Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Fitbit

on 31 July 2015
Having read a couple of the Atomic Sea novels i grabbed this when it was free as its set in the same world. Intially, and i dont know why, the cover put me off but ive just finished it and its an excellent read. Fast paced with a likeable female lead character and a dark story. i finished this in one sitting and cant wait to read the next part.
on 9 August 2014
This book was an okay story, but a tad obvious and predictable for me.

The post-steampunk and Lovecraftian elements I was expecting from the title were pretty sparse on the ground and felt a bit flat, with nothing to surprise me or generate any real sense of immersion in the world. Just adding the odd steampunk trope (blimps as transportation, for example) doesn't make for effective world-building IMHO.

The characters were okay but it felt a bit Mary-sue-ish (most of them are too passive by far, leaving our heroine the only one who gets off her keister). And the story doesn't end - it just stops in the middle of the action (an incredibly annoying habit that's all too common on self-published ebooks). I won't be buying the sequel.
on 29 December 2016
I have never read any of Jack Conners books, but will definitely be reading more as I really enjoyed this story. I did however find the ending a bit annoying, but I don't like cliffhangers. I found the characters intriguing, especially Katya, who filled with such energy and determination, yet it's her compassion for the wounded Heather that truly defines her. Ravic and Loqrin being played by Jack, who I am sure has his own agenda and I can't wait to find out what it is.

I am finding it a bit strange writing a review on half a story, but i'm certainly likeing what I have read so far and hope that the second part doesn't end in a cliffhanger, but concludes the story.
on 6 September 2016
I really wanted to give this book five stars. I love this dystopian world and the detail put into its creation. I love the crazy and depraved people that inhabit it. Most of all I love the tension it builds then holds all the way to the end. Unfortunately the books ending frustrated me. I know I'm giving away a bit of a spoiler but come on! A cliffhanger followed immediately by an advert to 'buy the next book if you want to see the story's conclusion!'

I hate this kind of marketing, yes it makes sense but it doesn't make it any less frustrating. But you win this time Jack Conner, I now want to pick up your next title. Highly Recommended.
on 26 July 2015
An excellent read with some wonderful characters - villains are villainous, heroines are heroic, but everything is shades of grey with sufficient flaws to add depth and keep them interesting.

The story is really well paced and the action draws you in - be warned this is a real page turner!
on 18 November 2015
Chose this book because I'm hooked on the atomic sea series and wanted to learn more about this world
Its a great addition fast paced with an evil villain and a likeable heroine
who is also very human and makes mistakes
This is a real page turner or tapper if you reading on a tablet
on 19 July 2016
Good read; not too heavy, and a few smatterings of steampunk & Lovecraft help it along. More of a dark SF story, really. Not always totally convinced how Katya got out of all those dilemmas so unscathed, but enjoyed it & will read Pt 2.
on 31 July 2014
This is the first time I've read jack conner and it won't be the last. I really enjoyed this story,it was fast paced and full of action.altogether a great change from my usual genre
on 13 April 2016
A good fast action adventure
on 15 February 2015
Katya is tough. She's a survivor in a post-apocalyptic world. Now, she has to face a new creature in a world already filled to the brim with human and non-human monsters. With the fire of a pursuer behind her, she jumps right into the frying pan.

Jack Conner continues to amaze me with the depth, breadth, and scope of his writing. His imagination seems to be a bottomless well, and his characters captivate the reader with their personalities. Mr. Conner is also the author of Sword and Sorcery: Empire of the Worm and the Living Night series. Empire of the Worm is a fascinating combination of fantasy, horror, and the supernatural, while the Living Night series is a sweeping saga of vampires and other monsters.