on 6 January 2010
I was looking forward to these series of B pictures. They are what they are, not much budget spent on them,and supported a main Picture, but they entertained in their own way. They deserve better issue than this company has had transferred on to dvd. The first one I got was "The Tarnished Heroes". The picture image juddered from left to right, right to left ( see my review on this film ). I thought I would give it another try and get another from the series.I bought "Night Train To Inverness" and I never got to the main tiles. Again juddering picture and the picture quality was deadly out of focus. These films looked like 16mm prints,dark and out of focus, some faces were washed out. I suppose there are not any 35mm ones left. However, it's the transfer that ruins these issues. I am afraid I binned them and won't be trying any more. There are some good, other companies out there that issue B pictures on dvd. All in all I am very, very disappointed I couldn't enjoy these films.
H.V.Challis
44 Comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
"Night Train For Inverness" 1960, written by Mark Graham who also uses the pseudonym of M.M. McCormack and wrote 31 scripts for the Danzigers. Today's television viewers will recognise a young Denis Waterman who plays the boy at the centre of the story. His father is played by stage and film actor Norman Wooland an ex embezzler who abducts his son not knowing that the boy is a diabetic and needs regular medication. A whole host of character actors and well known faces of the time appear and are directed by another Danziger regular director Ernest Morris. Another budget DVD release from Pegasus.
As a young lad I went to the cinema every week and always enjoyed a good 'B' film as well as the main one. I never saw this when it was first released and was unsure as to whether or not I would enjoy it. I did.

Remember, this is a buget 'B' film and should be seen as such. The acting is woody, camera work jerky and the film quality leaves a lot to be desired, however, the storyline and the suspense make this a great addition to any 50s/60's 'B' film collection. I understand why others have not rated this film very highly, maybe it's because they are comparing it to bigger budget films or even modern day productions, but to me this deserves maximum stars simply for the way it all comes together. A very good British film of the time.

The story is simple enough, father comes out of prison and wants to see his son, the controlling mother-in-law (boo hiss - "but I'm only doing what I think is best") does everything she can to stop him from seeing the boy (well played by Dennis Waterman - his first film I believe) and to keep her daughter (boys mum) tied to her apron strings. The boy Ted is 'kidnapped' by his father, totally unaware that Ted is a diabetic and needs his insulin, and takes him on the night train to Inverness. Predictably it all ends happily.

Yes it is predictable and it is very much a 'B' film, but surely, that's the beauty of it, it is as it was when it was released - a gem. Look out for a young Anton Rogers playing a Scottish doctor near the end of the film.
on 18 June 2011
Disappointing, as the picture quality is pretty poor.
Region 0 is a universal format and, by definition, you compromise on quality of picture.
It would be helpful if Amazon were more up front on this point and gave a warning that this was Region 0.
My advice is: Don't buy it.
55 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2010
An interesting little film and after seeing Dennis Waterman in NEW TRICKS it`s hard to believe he started so young. As far as the film was concerned the quality was very poor and thats about all I can say.
on 12 December 2016
DENNIS WATERMAN DEPICTS A DIABETIC BOY DESPERATE FOR INSULIN IN THIS VIVID
DRAMA OF DECEIT AND MISUNDERSTANDING. WELL WRITTEN AND WELL RESEARCHED.
on 13 May 2016
Not for me as I already had it but my friend who ordered loved it.
on 29 January 2015
Picture quality is BAD. The film is also very dated.
on 13 May 2013
Dennis Waterman, a very talented actor even here as a child.
Yes the film is "dated" but wonderful tension and exciting in black and white.